Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel spacers on 7.5 Trendline

Users Country Flag

Wheel spacers on 7.5 Trendline

Anyone use any spacers on their VW's?

Ordered a 19" wheels and thinking of 3cm back and 2cm front spacers.

Anyone with experience in this, thanks.

Should have just ordered wheels with the correct offset to start with.

All I’ll say is make 100% sure you get the correct length/seat bolts to work.

Spacers aren’t legal in most states and if you’re involved in an accident which they cause you’ll be in a world of pain if your insurance decides to walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    Should have just ordered wheels with the correct offset to start with.

All I’ll say is make 100% sure you get the correct length/seat bolts to work.

Spacers aren’t legal in most states and if you’re involved in an accident which they cause you’ll be in a world of pain if your insurance decides to walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What offset would you recommend to make the wheels stick out or at least be in line with the panel?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kakao View Post
    What offset would you recommend to make the wheels stick out or at least be in line with the panel?
    You will want something in the x 8.5 ET45 range on Mk7/7.5. If you're on an x 8 wheel you could get to ET38 and still be ok.

The x 8.5 ET45 is pretty much considered the "standard" for a good fitment - at least here in Australia. In countries where poke is less of an issue they will be more aggressive than that for sure.

Unsure on spacer use in NSW but 100% with tigger73..

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch77 View Post
    You will want something in the x 8.5 ET45 range on Mk7/7.5. If you're on an x 8 wheel you could get to ET38 and still be ok.

The x 8.5 ET45 is pretty much considered the "standard" for a good fitment - at least here in Australia. In countries where poke is less of an issue they will be more aggressive than that for sure.

Unsure on spacer use in NSW but 100% with tigger73..
    Spacers are illegal in all States unless the vehicle came with them fitted at the factory.. Plain and simple
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Plain and simple, I don't care if its illegal or not, as I've been running spacers an almost all my cars in the last 15yrs, without any issues.

Not sure if offset can make it up for what I want to do, still thinking that (H&R) spacers are the best bet, only not sure of the size, 3cm & 2cm, or thereabout.

Anyone?

Wheel spacers on 7.5 Trendline

Quote Originally Posted by kakao View Post
    Plain and simple, I don't care if its illegal or not, as I've been running spacers an almost all my cars in the last 15yrs, without any issues.

Not sure if offset can make it up for what I want to do, still thinking that (H&R) spacers are the best bet, only not sure of the size, 3cm & 2cm, or thereabout.

Anyone?
    Well if you have so much experience with running spacers I’m not sure why you’re asking the question to be honest.

Fit up the wheels that you’re looking to run (with tyres). Get a tape measure and measure from the outside of the tyre to the body line of the car. That’s how big a spacer you’re going to need to run to get “flush”.

If you’re after “poke” then just add however many mm of poke you want to achieve the “look” you’re after.

A couple of the sites I use a lot to work out wheel/tyre fitment are:

www.willtheyfit.com - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator

tyresizecalculator.com - Tire Width for a Wheel/Rim Size Chart

The answer to your question is on these 2 websites. When selecting wheels/tyres I'd always recommend purchasing based on fitment first rather than trying to fit a set of wheels that's not correct width/offset/PCD by using spacers and/or adapters.

If you're going to spend a reasonable amount of $ on new wheels/tyres it makes more sense to do it right first time and that means selecting the wheel with the right width offset to give the look you're after.

Even if you get a set of wheels "cheap" you'll spend more in adapters/spacers to get the right fitment. Then you may as well have bought the set with the right fitment in the first place.

If you already bought a set of wheels that you now are trying to get to work then I get what you're doing but personally I'd sell them and buy something 18/19x8.5+45 as per Dutch's recommendations above. There's lots of aftermarket wheels available in this width/offset as it's the "ideal" wheel fitment to run on a Mk7 Golf/S3 and get a "flush" look.
    Last edited by tigger73; 04-09-2020 at 12:23 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Thank you Tigger (and Dutch), I was thinking of 19x8.5, but unsure of the offset that may make the wheels look flush ... thus my question.

Looks like +45 may take me where I want to be, in that case I don't need spacers at all.

There are a few wheels that look good to me in 19x8.5, but the maximum (advertised) offset is 42. I know that many wheels come as blanks, and then they machine them to achieve a desired offset. Maybe they can do +45 as well?!?

I had my last VW Golf some 15yrs ago thus I was unsure how to approach the flush look matter (but I can tell you a lot about Z370 that I drive in recent years).

The TSI that we have ordered is for my 16yrs old daughter, so as a petrol-head father I wanted to make it look nice and sporty for her.

Someone also mentioned 19x9.5 for the rear, but that may be an overkill.

Users Country Flag
    As mentioned, yes spacers are illegal - but so are many other mods we all do to our cars. Personally I run high quality Spulen spacers (15mm front and 20mm rear) on the stock rims on my Audi SQ5 and have never had an issue. I also had high quality SCC (same as H&R) 15mm spacers on my old Lexus IS-F - no issues.

I have also just purchased Burger Motorsports spacers for my Mk7 GTI which should arrive early next week.

The key with spacers is to avoid the cheap and nasty ebay junk and get good quality hubcentric ones and high quality bolts.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 04-09-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Respect for wanting the daughter's car to look good.

Buy a quality set of x 8.5 ET45 wheels and you will achieve what you want IMO.

Otherwise Lucas point is valid.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast