Support VWWC

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel hum / rumbling noise

Wheel hum / rumbling noise

Bought a new GTI P recently and been an awesome car. However, noticed a hum coming from the left front wheel are which only happens at certain speed ranges. Hum starts as the car approaches 50km/h and disappears at 60 km/h. Go faster and it's loudest around 70 km/h and goes away again beyond 80km/h. I think it's also worse when I turn left at those speeds. Have tried some troubleshooting - different roads (no difference), tyre pressures (no change), comfort/normal/sports modes (no difference) so I'm wondering if it's the tyre or bearing. I reckon it started after a period of heavy storms but the car was never parked/driven into floods except for wet roads.

Have taken it into a dealer and was able to reproduce the sound but the mechanic reckons he couldn't hear it. I am a musician with very sensitive ears and I would tolerate road noise which is constant but when it happens with varying speeds, it does frustrate me. The workshop has kindly booked me in for a second test drive again so see if he can hear it.

Any ideas on the cause of it? I've only got 3000kms on it btw.

Users Country Flag
    does the steering vibrate on the highway 100kmh? buckled wheel can make humming noise..

after storms, Brisbane is full of potholes and with GTI PP 225 35 19 tyres, there is very slim chance of the wheels winning a fight against potholes. 19" wheels vs potholes = potholes win.
    Mitsubishi Pajero Sport - Super Select 2WD/4WD
    Toyota 86 GTS Performance Pack Moon Slate - RWD
    MINI Cooper S Clubman - FWD

nat225, haven't hit any major potholes that I know of. Steering doesn't vibrate at highway speeds. I know what u mean about potholes vs 19' as I got 19's too on my a4 and no marks to this day 2.5 years and going.

Users Country Flag
    Could be the bearing perhaps, though if the bearing was having issues you'd expect it to be more constant. Certainly not over two different speed ranges. Are you 100% certain of the area it's coming from? Easier or harder to notice with the windows down?

Users Country Flag
    Might be something that will have to get a bit worse to be able to pinpoint.

Might not even be related to the running gear. Could be just reverberation in the induction system even.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

After driving it this weekend, hums still there and reproducible under same conditions. I reckon it's something that's connected to the wheel that's loose and vibrates at those speeds. Also with the noise worsening with less pressure (left turn) it further supports that theory.

For those who are musical, it hums in the key of E! Just loud enough to stick out with radio on normal volumes so I really hope it gets fixed soon. Will update you after the next visit to VW

Users Country Flag
    Swap rims front to back & see if noise moves
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Like mentioned before, try swapping wheels just to rule it out. Could be bearings.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon View Post
    Bought a new GTI P recently and been an awesome car. However, noticed a hum coming from the left front wheel are which only happens at certain speed ranges. Hum starts as the car approaches 50km/h and disappears at 60 km/h. Go faster and it's loudest around 70 km/h and goes away again beyond 80km/h. I think it's also worse when I turn left at those speeds. Have tried some troubleshooting - different roads (no difference), tyre pressures (no change), comfort/normal/sports modes (no difference) so I'm wondering if it's the tyre or bearing. I reckon it started after a period of heavy storms but the car was never parked/driven into floods except for wet roads.

Have taken it into a dealer and was able to reproduce the sound but the mechanic reckons he couldn't hear it. I am a musician with very sensitive ears and I would tolerate road noise which is constant but when it happens with varying speeds, it does frustrate me. The workshop has kindly booked me in for a second test drive again so see if he can hear it.

Any ideas on the cause of it? I've only got 3000kms on it btw.
    It's your bearings, find out which wheel it is, go to someone who has a hoist and they will spin the wheels. You will notice the difference. If your located in Melbourne I can help you out, I got a rear wheel bearing for $80 and cost me $80 to have it fitted on my rear wheel.

Took the car in yeaterday. Mechanic heard the sound during test drive. Spent a few hours in the workshop and they said it wasn't the bearings but they think it's tyre noise!! Is that even possible that tyres would hum at certain speeds and go silent when the speed changes. They did say some back in a few weeks if it continues. Pisses me off as its still there, they acknowledge it and still no fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast