Thread: Wheel Bolts needed

Wheel Bolts needed

I have OZ Racing wheels on a Mk 7 and noticed today to my horror that 2 bolts are missing from one wheel and that a third one was working its way loose. Does anyone local in Brisbane have any to sell 55 mm long, thread length apprx 36mm.

Also is it ok to temporarily move one bolt from another wheel so that I will have 2 wheels with 4 bolts instead of one with 3 (which I would not drive).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    I have OZ Racing wheels on a Mk 7 and noticed today to my horror that 2 bolts are missing from one wheel and that a third one was working its way loose. Does anyone local in Brisbane have any to sell 55 mm long, thread length apprx 36mm.

Also is it ok to temporarily move one bolt from another wheel so that I will have 2 wheels with 4 bolts instead of one with 3 (which I would not drive).
    Yes is sensible but you should find out why they are loose Sounds like they are the wrong bolts for the wheels
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yes is sensible but you should find out why they are loose Sounds like they are the wrong bolts for the wheels
    This^ is excellent advice.

There are two types of seats: conical or radius/spherical. You need the correct type for the wheels.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    This^ is excellent advice.

There are two types of seats: conical or radius/spherical. You need the correct type for the wheels.
    thanks Guys..however I have had the wheels and bolts on the car for approx 30,000 k's with no issues. I did get new tyres 10 weeks ago , hate to think BJ didnt secure them properly.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    thanks Guys..however I have had the wheels and bolts on the car for approx 30,000 k's with no issues. I did get new tyres 10 weeks ago , hate to think BJ didnt secure them properly.
    It happens Got wheels rotated in Cairns once got down the road and coul hear a little click on corners Got to MacKay and found one rear was really loose. Seems they got ti crooked on the hub and it worked off it
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag

Maybe take the oppourtunity to get something new and shiny. When I changed my wheels the stock locking nuts didn't fit so I got new chrome ones and did away with the dust covers too.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Interestingly the bolt holes are also a little narrower so the stock Mk6 locking bolt doesn't fit in so I took the opportunity to put in some shiny chrome ones instead from Mr Lug Nut.

Source: Austins on a MK6 Cabriolet

As has been said, make sure you're running the correct bolt for the wheels. From memory, VW are usually ball seat, but OZ Racing (and many aftermarket wheels) are tapered. You should check that out if you haven't already.

Here is a random image from google to illustrate the issue:

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit