Thread: Wheel alignment issues

Wheel alignment issues

I have owned my Golf wagon for 8 years now and never had alignment issues. This week I took advantage of the buy 3 get 4th free from bridgestone and a wheel alignment. Upon leaving and driving home, I noticed the steering wheel off centre (felt like I was constantly steering right). The car tracked straight but it was definitely off. Took it back to get it sorted but was returned exactly the same.

Can this be rectified? I have looked online for answers, some stating dodgy aligner to taking steering wheel off and rotating it to correct.

Cheers...

Users Country Flag
    I think they do this to compensate for camber on the roads, so when you are ever so slightly steering right to counteract the camber, your steering wheel is facing directly straight ahead.

Ive had this be more noticeable after alignments before and returned to get it corrected.

They just need to adjust the tie rods accordingly to get the steering wheel perfectly straight. The link below will give you some basic info.

How to Center my Steering Wheel

You most certainly do not have to remove the steering wheel to adjust this - the steering wheel is installed in the correct position at the factory so that your indicators etc cancel when coming out of a corner, so if you mess with the steering wheel position on the steering shaft you will effect your indicator cancelling feature.

If Bridgestone aren't interested in straightening the steering wheel, then you might have to suck it up and take the car elsewhere for another alignment.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 08-06-2022 at 06:00 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

The guy that did your alignment is an idiot. Most wheel aligners are. Get it done by someone else that knows what they are doing. I travel 100kms to East Coast Suspensions to get mine done. East Coast Suspensions - Performance Mechanics Taren Point, 2229

The old "It's to compensate for the camber rubbish". Your car steers staight for 8 years and they do an "adjustment " that puts the steering off centre and they say thats normal. If your in Sydney go to East Coast Suspension, Dave is excellent. I have taken 4 vans and 7 different cars to him over about 35 years!
    Last edited by carpy; 10-06-2022 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carpy View Post
    The old "It's to compensate for the camber rubbish". Your car steers staight for 8 years and they do an "adjustment " that puts the steering off centre and they say thats normal. If your in Sydney go to East Coast Suspension, Dave is excellent. I have taken 4 vans and 7 different cars to him over about 35 years!
    Are there other recommendations for Sydney? That's a bit of a hike for some of us

Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    Are there other recommendations for Sydney? That's a bit of a hike for some of us
    Mark and Wallings at Ryde have my recommendation.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    I have been impressed with how my 2019 MK7.5 R Wagon alignment was so good from new with the factory settings for 32000 klms.

I say BS to The old "It's to compensate for the camber rubbish". Your car steers straight for 8 years and they do an "adjustment " that puts the steering off centre and they say that's normal.

I will be rotating my tyres front to back and hope not to need to balance the wheels, but will need a good
    alignment place here in Brisbane as tyres will need renewing in 5000klms or so.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    Heasmans in Sydenham is very well regarded. https://www.heasmans.com.au/opal_ser...eel-alignment/
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by GTI_PAPA View Post
    I have owned my Golf wagon for 8 years now and never had alignment issues. This week I took advantage of the buy 3 get 4th free from bridgestone and a wheel alignment. Upon leaving and driving home, I noticed the steering wheel off centre (felt like I was constantly steering right). The car tracked straight but it was definitely off. Took it back to get it sorted but was returned exactly the same.

Can this be rectified? I have looked online for answers, some stating dodgy aligner to taking steering wheel off and rotating it to correct.

Cheers...
    a good solution is to ring them and say the steering is still misaligned and to fix it.. this can happen especially if they havent tested it after alignment.. compensating for camber or whatever is bs not sure where old mate got that one from .. if the alignment is even slightly crooked you will notice it on a proper straight road so its hard for the guys to know for sure.. ive had this happen and had it fixed on the 2nd time around and the guys apologise as mistakes happen and its fine. if ur having issues with them then they will lose your business and reputation with friends e.t.c if its a local shop.. thats life

the real question tho here is what are u doing buying bridgestones again... they probably take you for a fool