Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW Service Centre hit my car

VW Service Centre hit my car

First post here and looking for some advice. I'll try keep the story as short as possible.

I had my car serviced at VW on Tuesday. Went to pick it up and found it kissing the rear end of a Tarago. Damage to the front bumper and sensors. They were very helpful and advised they will be bearing the costs of repair.

Today they called and said that after checking the video footage they could see that the mechanic parked the car fine at first, then it later rolled forward (when I picked up the car on Tuesday the e-brake was disengaged but selector was in park). Now they are telling me that there is a problem with the transmission and that I'm liable...

I always engage the parking brake before I leave my car, so I can't say with absolute certainty that this problem didn't exist prior to handing the car over for service, however I believe it's more likely that this "transmission problem" arose after my car was left with the parking brake off. It was parked on a slight decline which would have placed extra pressure on the parking pawl, and considering it's the only thing stopping the car from rolling now, it makes sense to me that the transmission issue arose around this time.

I'm no expert with DSGs (or traditional autos for that matter), but it's common sense to engage the parking brake along with putting the selector in park regardless of how flat the surface is. It's written in the bloody manual.

I was seeking direct compensation (before they told me about the transmission thing) because it has genuinely affected my work and mood (which again affects my work) but they're pushing back hard. Nothing I didn't expect, but now they're trying to put the blame on me for the broken transmission as well so the inconvenience has grown. I'll be fighting this with them to get the direct compensation, as well as the transmission work done on their dollar.

If there's any knowledge or information around DSGs, parking brakes, VWs rolling, etc. that you can share I'd greatly appreciate it. I don't think it's fair for them to 'win'. The service manager has claimed that he is going above and beyond to make good of the inconvenience caused by fixing the car and giving a loan car. That is standard procedure in all insurance claims. It's not okay for him to be leveraging that as a mode of compensation.

I drive a 2014 Golf 90kw 1.4TSI

Apologies if this post isn't in the right space - I've only just joined.

Pics - Imgur: The magic of the Internet
    Last edited by erict; 28-11-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Car will roll before it engages with the parking pawl in the transmission, but not more than a few inches at most. Test it yourself in a safe area, to be sure.

Still, the technician should have engaged the park brake, and perhaps not parked so close to the other car. If you're getting nowhere with the service department, escalate it to the general manager and dealer principal.

Good luck with it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Thanks for the response mate.

I haven't seen the footage so not sure how close he parked it and how far it rolled. I will watch it when I take my car in.

I was thinking the same as you regarding escalation. I'm giving it one more conversation with the service manager. If there's no progress I'll be escalating it.

Cheers,
    Eric

PS I've added pics to the post if you're curious

It is the driver's responsibility to secure the car in all ways before leaving it, full stop and no argument and part of the legislation covering the road code. They are trying it on to see if you will take responsibility and it sounds like some bright young thing has thought it up. I would watch the video then explain the facts to the service manager because it proves the technician did not secure the car. I bet they regret showing it to you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Still, the technician should have engaged the park brake.
    Ditto to this, and you can ask if the technician knows how to drive. The car is so far from the footpath it's going into the next lane!

Users Country Flag
    I’m pretty sure the owners manual says to apply the parking brake. If the technician didn’t, then he was not using the vehicle according to manufacturer recommendations.
    Cheers

Forget what it says in the manual, the overriding legislation says it all. Call the local police station and they will tell you the same thing.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Forget what it says in the manual, the overriding legislation says it all. Call the local police station and they will tell you the same thing.
    and which legislation would that be?
    Cheers

The legislation that governs car use whatever that is.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    The legislation that governs car use whatever that is.
    oh, that one. Uh huh.
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast