Thread: VW Golf MK7 Noise in Low Gear

Users Country Flag

VW Golf MK7 Noise in Low Gear

Hi there,

I have 6 years old MK7 Golf 92TSI (bought in Jan 2016) - In the first two years, we have replaced the clutch pack twice for this strange noise in the low gear - GOLF 7 1.4 TSI BlueMotion noise in low gear clip 1 - YouTube (see similar noise on youtube from another driver).

However, after 2 clutch pack replacement, the problem appears again after 20-30k km, obviously now the car is about 135k km and I ignored the noise for 2-3 years as it has been out of warranty for quite some times.

According to the OP on the youtube - "Volkswagen have identified the problem as an overheating clutch due to slow speed driving. The heating causes the plates expand in size and hence results in excessive grinding between the plates. The plate expansion is mainly due to the use of wrong material in making the plates. The problem is now resolved after Volkswagen replaced the old clutch with a new one that has used a new material for the making of the plates"

Question is, has the problem been resolved with the newer clutch pack?

Users Country Flag
    I know VW have revised the clutch pack assembly several times, but as I understand it, the issue still exists as its a design issue with the gearbox itself.

These gearboxes are not fit-for-use in a city driven car that sees a lot of stop start traffic as it overheats the clutches.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

When was the last time that you recalibrated the clutches? I recalibrate mine every time I do the service (every 10k km) and had them replaced about 40k km ago and they are still fine. Believe or not the recalibration makes a huge difference to how the gearbox behaves.

I'm pretty sure that my clutches weren't the latest model one…

Last edited by Gutoneto; 18-08-2022 at 09:00 PM.
    Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutoneto View Post
    When was the last time that you recalibrated the clutches?

How do you do the recalibration? Is it the same as DSG reset? turn the key halfway and push the accelerator for 20 seconds?

Quote Originally Posted by wilslm View Post
    How do you do the recalibration? Is it the same as DSG reset? turn the key halfway and push the accelerator for 20 seconds?
    You'll need a VCDS or OBDEleven to do unfortunately.
    Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...