Support VWWC

Thread: VW Golf Mk 7 90TSI do you change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt?

VW Golf Mk 7 90TSI do you change the water pump at the same time as the timing belt?

My wifes Mk7 Golf 90TSI with DSG is booked in for a service later this week at the closest VW dealer.
    The car is a Dec 2014 build, first registered in Feb 2015. So 7.5 years old, about 76,000km on the clock.

The dealer is recommending the timing chain or belt be changed, about $1000. I'm not sure if this engine has a timing chain or a timing belt. With a lot of cars where labour is involved I'm wondering if the water pump should be changed at the same time. Not sure what type of water pump this engine will have. And if worth changing while in there, any feel for how much extra this is likely to be?

Thanks
    John

Users Country Flag
    Yes will only be a couple of hundred to do it at the same time and water pumps are best done then as will cost another Thousand if it goes later as all the same stuff comes off to do the pump. My Passat got belt done at 7years but had only done 40,000km and did pump at same time was $250 extra
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yes will only be a couple of hundred to do it at the same time and water pumps are best done then as will cost another Thousand if it goes later as all the same stuff comes off to do the pump. My Passat got belt done at 7years but had only done 40,000km and did pump at same time was $250 extra
    The MK7 90TSI is different, the waterpump is driven by a small toothed belt from the camshaft at the other end of the motor my service schedule does not recommend a time or mileage to replace it .
    The timing belt is done at 105,000 or 7 years along with tensioner and roller so up to you if you wish to roll the dice.
    Interestingly my 1999 Subaru Forester still has the original timing belt but has only done 45,000Km and the indie Suby mechanic did not recommend changing it however its leaky water pump is driven by the same belt sowill be getting done soon.

So this 7 year or 105,000km service (the car has only done 76,000km) is going to be expensive. The "stealership" was $1195 for the timing belt or $1695 with the water pump included. They are only 15 mins or so from home. One independent we've used in the past takes 2 trips half way across Melbourne in a day to do the same thing. I explained to my wife this is effectively a 100,000km service @ 76,000km!
    And generally 100,000km is the big one. For better or for worse we've taken the $1695 option. The rest of the service, oil, filter etc is on top of this. Thanks to forum members for their input!

Correction to the last post. The dealership phoned, the water pump is on the opposite side of the 90 TSI engine and they are not going to replace this. Some other sort of belt needs replacing (apart from the timing belt), possibly the drive belt for the alternator etc.

Users Country Flag
    Valvster - The Gambler know when to hold em know when to fold em

WOW: The timing belt is done at 105,000 or 7 years along with tensioner and roller so up to you 'if you wish to roll the dice'.

Interestingly my 1999 Subaru Forester still has the original timing belt but has only done 45,000Km and the indie Suby mechanic did not recommend changing it however its leaky water pump is driven by the same belt so will be getting done soon.

Subaru Timing Belt Replacement - Subaru Cam Drive (alldrivesubaroo.com.au)

Valvster 'if you wish to roll the dice' and you have from 1999 to 2022.

Cheers Al

Users Country Flag

Yes I have rolled the dice but not from 1999, it was my fathers car bought new and only driven to the supermarket on pension day for the last 12 years and I have taken it over 5K ago when he stopped driving. Always serviced every 6mths by a Suby mechanic, so far I'm up to 3 who say not to change it but with ba weeping waterpump it has to be done.