Support VWWC

Thread: Upgraded Tail lights

Users Country Flag

Upgraded Tail lights

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the 7.5 GTI tail lights will be a direct swap on to a 7 without any harnesses or coding?

Got the opportunity to pickup some tails but just want to make sure 100% before committing.

Thanks in advance
    I'm soo euro even my missus is shaved...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DubSteve View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if the 7.5 GTI tail lights will be a direct swap on to a 7 without any harnesses or coding?

Got the opportunity to pickup some tails but just want to make sure 100% before committing.

Thanks in advance
    Pretty sure its a no. MK7.5 to Mk7.5 only, it more than just coding the wiring is different too. That's why you will see the aftermarket places like SuperNova does MK7 upgrades and MK7.5 upgrades separately.

VW Golf MK7.0 Sequential LED Tail Lights - Mk7.5 Style - Supernova Lighting
    Last edited by Sharkie; 17-03-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Pretty sure its a no. MK7.5 to Mk7.5 only, it more than just coding the wiring is different too. That's why you will see the aftermarket places like SuperNova does MK7 upgrades and MK7.5 upgrades separately.

VW Golf MK7.0 Sequential LED Tail Lights - Mk7.5 Style - Supernova Lighting
    Cheers for that, so what you are saying is that if i was to purchase the harness from here MK7 LED Tail Light Wiring Harness Retrofit - Supernova Lighting it should work?
    I'm soo euro even my missus is shaved...

Users Country Flag
    If you're after the OEM ones, you need to change the wiring harness or use the adaptor and there's coding to be done as well. Else you can opt for the aftermarket ones.

Yep coding and Harness adaptor required. I have done this on mine. Dean from VW Central Can Help you there.

If you just wan't to switch all bulbs to LED in an MY16 GTI is this possible?

Is coding required?

https://i.imgur.com/WgfIUch.jpg

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tiyefah360 View Post
    If you just wan't to switch all bulbs to LED in an MY16 GTI is this possible?

Is coding required?

https://i.imgur.com/WgfIUch.jpg
    tiyefah360: Hi.
    short answer is "it depends"!

Longer answer is: not all retrofit LED lamps re created equal. The module that controls the 35 x exterior lights on your mk7 (is called the Body Control Module - BCM) constantly monitors every lamp for faults. Because LEDs are so efficient in converting electricity to light, they require very little amperes compared to their incandescent counterparts (i.e. the lamps in your current fittings).

Depending on the characteristics of the p–n junction in the LED (the boundary between the two types of materials inside the crystal of semiconductor) and depending on the nature of the ballast resistor in the unit, this reduced current can be seen by the BCM as a fault if the the BCM is not told that the lamp type has been changed.

Whether this "false positive" error happens depends entirely on the LED - but if it does happen, the fix is usually not difficult

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.