Thread: Tyres - To XL or not XL, that is the question

Tyres - To XL or not XL, that is the question

Hi,

Curious as to what other's 7.5 GTi cars were delivered with. My 2020 on 18" was delivered on Bridgestone Potenza 225/40R18 NON XL. I get the distinct impression that this isn't consistent and that others randomly were delivered with XL tyres? or perhaps it was the GTIs delivered with 19" wheels that came with XL? in order to protect the wheel/rim from potholes (i.e siffer sidewall to reduce the risk of tyre deforming too far during impact)

After 22k the Bridgestone's edges are past their best. Typical, in my experience, for the breed. Centre has plenty

Likely to throw PS5s on but, to XL or not XL. Here's my thoughts

XL = heavier. So more rotational mass
    XL = harsher ride (firmer sideway)
    XL = Need different tyre pressures vs non XL

XL = better turn in / directional change
    XL = Better control under ABS threshold braking

Wife's car, I use it for rallying two or three times a year (when I'm leaning on it) otherwise she commutes to/from work barely cracking 30 kph so I'm kinda thinking non XL.

Happy to hear thoughts or am over thinking it

It's simple, check the tyre rated load and compare that with the weight your car puts on each wheel. Buy a tyre that is rated at or above the weight on the corner that is heaviest (after allowing for passengers, fuel and any load in the boot).

I think you will find you need the XL tyres to be legal.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post

I think you will find you need the XL tyres to be legal.
    By that logic my car was delivered , brand new, from the dealer to me was illegal then as it was delivered with non XL rated tyres

Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    By that logic my car was delivered , brand new, from the dealer to me was illegal then as it was delivered with non XL rated tyres
    To properly check on legality you need to look at the actual max load rating (in Kg) for the tyres (IIRC it will be stamped on the sidewall) and compare that with the actual weight on each corner of your car (for a GTI that will be the front axle, and probably the driver's side with the driver on board - unless you have a particularly hefty passenger in the front seat).
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).