Thread: Tyre question - what was factory fitted tyre on a 2018 Golf R

Tyre question - what was factory fitted tyre on a 2018 Golf R

Hello
    I will preface this by stating I am not intending to set off a which tyre is best discussion.
    I have recently found my way into a 7.5 Golf R delivered new in Aug 2018.
    I am wondering if anyone here could tell me what was the factory fitted tyre on Rs from 2018.
    My reason for asking is that my new R has about 50000km on the clock, which I suspect might be mostly motorway kms.
    The car has Conti Contact Sport 5Ps all round. The rear tyres are down to about 4mm tread at best and have build stamps showing 17/18 ie 17th week of 2018. The fronts look like they were replaced fairly recently ie have plenty of tread and build stamps from early 2021.
    I am wondering if the rears might be the original tyres and have never been replaced (or rotated). Is it conceivable that a mostly highway driven R could get 50K mileage from rear tyres?? Or was the Continental CCS 5P a retro fit by the previous owner, implying that the car is neither mostly highway/motorway driven nor that this tyre has exceptional wear?
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Most of the 7.5 R's I see have factory fitted Continental Contact Sport's in 235/35/19, so id say your rears are the original tyres (going off the tyres manufacturing date vs your cars manufacturing date).

If the car has done mostly highway driving then yes the tyres could last 50,000km or possibly even longer.

For context, I bought a 2015 Golf GTI Performance about 18 months ago. It had 47,000km on it when I got it. The tyres were the original 225/35/19 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT (manufactured 2015) but were absolutely shagged and due for replacement which I did within about a week of buying the car. They were almost completely bald, rock hard, had nicks and cuts in them from hitting gutters and had no grip in either the wet or dry. This car I bought had spent its first few years in Sydney, and then a few years in Newcastle - so mostly city driving.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Those are the original tires on the back. I have them on mine (Build date 09/18 ) and at 25000km still have about half-life left in them. Rotating them every year, so even wear across all 4. BTW my driving is 85% commuting in the city 35km round trip daily.

I have been very happy with them so far. Good grip, good wear and just enough slip on a hard launch to protect the clutch
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Mine came with Conti Contact Sport 5Ps from the factory. Replaced them at 30,000km with no life left in them

Thanks to all. Looks like up for new tyres pretty soon. The sales guy had indicated the previous owner lived on Central Coast and used to commute to northern Sydney on regular basis so all makes sense

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ABCD View Post
    Thanks to all. Looks like up for new tyres pretty soon. The sales guy had indicated the previous owner lived on Central Coast and used to commute to northern Sydney on regular basis so all makes sense
    Just rotate them and wear them out
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MadWorm View Post
    Mine came with Conti Contact Sport 5Ps from the factory. Replaced them at 30,000km with no life left in them
    Yeah, me the same, they were grippy but short lived.

I can understand how only highway Kay’s could stretch them to 50 000 but mainly daily city commutes finished mine quickly.
    hoping the Goodyear EF1A5 have a bit longer in them.