Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning off Daytime running lights

Turning off Daytime running lights

Hey guys, has anyone figured out how to turn off daytime running lights on the Golf 7 yet? I've done a search on google and can only find references to cars over in the UK, which their procedure doesn't seem to work.

Asking the obvious but have you tried in the manual? In the Mk6 there was a procedure listed in there.
    GTI | Carbon | Man | 5 door | Leather | 18" Detroit | Bluetooth | MDI | Bi-Xenon

Users Country Flag
    Just as a heads up I believe it is illegal to turn them off if the car comes factory equipped with them.

See and be seen Why would you want to turn them off
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    In the MK6, you can turn them off via the steering wheel controls and navigating through the menu on the MFD (Lights & Convenience / Daytime Running Lights / ON/OFF). It seems only Mk6's after 2011 had this ability. (my MY11.5 Golf R does). I turn my DRL's off on sunny days as i think it looks a bit wanky. I only turn them on if its overcast or a darker day. Engine needs to be running (but not moving, and doors closed) to access the menu on the MFD.

There is also a procedure using the indicator stalk and ignition which works on my 2010 GTI. Push indicator down (as if turning left) and pull towards you (as if indicating to turn left and also using the highbeams) and then turn the ignition on. Hold for 5 seconds and beep will sound and DRL's will turn off.

To turn them back on, repeat the same process but indicate right.

Surely the MK7 will be similar to one of these processes.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yeah no luck with those procedures. Some people don't want to be seen... Like a private investigator maybe?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style View Post
    Yeah no luck with those procedures. Some people don't want to be seen... Like a private investigator maybe?

Plenty of other cars to buy without them although more and more have them for safety reasons.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style View Post
    Hey guys, has anyone figured out how to turn off daytime running lights on the Golf 7 yet? I've done a search on google and can only find references to cars over in the UK, which their procedure doesn't seem to work.

Snail Style: Ryan_R is correct about the mk6, but I'm pretty sure that you can't turn-off the daytime running lights (DRL) using the same process on the mk7. I think that the only way that you can do this on a MK7 is with a VCDS cable.

I hadn't heard Hillbilly's advice before, but it's worth considering before you proceed with what I'm about to say below.

If you have a VCDS cable (or you have access to one), there is a tweak that enables you to disable the DRL when the light switch in the normal, "Off" position. With the tweak activated, the DRLs will turn-on only if you have the light switch in the "auto" position. Not sure if this is what you want (i.e. the DRL are not fully disabled). I'm also not sure of the legal status of this type of interference to the DRL given Hillbilly's advice.

Anyhow, you can find the VCDS tweak on the site that Ryan_R has quoted. The URL is :

stemei.de .VCDS Codierungen .Codierungsservice .Webdesign - Stefan Meier - Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung Auto - VCDS Codierungen, Webdesign

The website is in German, but with Google translate, the instructions are as follows :
    The onboard supply control unit, you have the option of the new VW Golf 7, the daytime running lights (DRL) be set so that it is activated only in the switch in the Auto position. In switch position '0 '(light) Thus, the daytime running lights of the headlights (LED or halogen) will be disabled.
    The following coding is used:
    Select STG 09 (vehicle power)
    STG access authorization -> Function 16
    Enter access code 31347
    STG adjustment -> function 10
    Channel (9) - select daytime running lights only switch in the Auto position
    Select " active"

The English is a little "clunky", but the instructions are fairly clear. I haven't tried this tweak, so please let us all know how it turns-out for you if you use the fix.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    I don't want to turn them off at any time for safety (and I suspect, legal) reasons, but I would like to be able to change them for a bright white bulb or an LED equivalent. Any recommendations for suitable products that won't throw up an error code? Also, how straightforward is it to access and change these bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes 2 seconds to pull both bulbs out, that's how we have the car setup at the moment. However the globe warning light can be annoying. Will have a go at the permanent fix today and report back.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Snail Style
    Activation of Daytime Running Lights only if switch is in the Auto position

1. Select STG 09 (Cent. Elect.)
    2. STG access authorization -> Function 16
    3. Enter access code 31347
    4. STG adjustment -> function 10
    5. Channel (9) - Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung Auto auswählen
    6. Select " active"

Edit: Snail Style - I've changed step (5) above to read the original German. I suspect that this is how you will see the channel option when (and if) you try the tweak.
    Last edited by DV52; 19-03-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast