Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMC VCDS not working(?) 2016 Comfortline

Users Country Flag

TMC VCDS not working(?) 2016 Comfortline

I have had two attempts to get TMC to enable on my Comfortline using the standard "1024" code, checking that both TP and RDS are enabled in the radio setup.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something? A friend has a VCDS cable so I will be able to try again if anyone has suggestions. Is it worth trying the other codes suggested in the link below (thinking VWTMCProMIB2 32768 )

VCDS/OBDeleven Tweaks: VW Golf MK7

I also could only get the first two changes of the three changes for enabling "off-road mode" .
    Last edited by aim54x; 30-07-2018 at 08:10 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Did you hard reset your head unit after you did the change?
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Hard Rest is needed, also is the car out in GPS view? ie not parked in a shed/under ground car park
    Skoda RS 230
    "The Grey Ghost"
    SG-TP-AB RS230 - Timeline

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hard reset as in press+hold the power until.it comes back on? Then yes.

I have done this then driven the car around for up to an hour, then continued to use the car as per normal for over 2 weeks. It's almost always on GPS view.

I currently have a VCDS HEX-CAN cable and double checked the coding last night. I won't get a chance for a decent drive until at least tonight.

Also turned off off-road mode

Users Country Flag
    aim54x: Thanks for the PM. Not really sure what's causing your problem but my hunch is that the HEX+CAN cable is too old for the protocols in the newer style module @ address hex5F (which I assume is OBDII - V2.0, or higher). It should be remembered that the HEX+CAN cable is over 25 years old in it's design and whilst Ross - Tech has supported its continuance, there must come a time when the old technology can no longer support the ever changing newer protocols. My suspicion is that you have found that time!!

As for the specifics of your problem, I've included below the pertinent "yellow" long coding helper screen for Byte 13 of the hex5F module:

Unless you have one of the newer Hex-Net/V2 cable/dongles, you won't be able to access this screen. Nevertheless, the 2 x important Bits to get TMC operational are Bit0 and Bit3. I guess the other way of implementing the TMC tweak is to try to force-enter Btye 13 = hex09 using the old fashion cut-and-paste method (assuming that the current value of Byte13 is hex00).

And, for TMC to work, "TP" and "RDS" need to be activated in the set-up menu for the radio

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 02-08-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Thanks for the reply DV52. I dont have the yellow long code screen...only the blue one, and I cannot see the BIT0, but I did copy the binary for byte 13 which turned to BIT code to 09. Still no love after a hard reset and triple checking the TP and RDS are activated in the radio setup.

Could it be the map version? I am currently running 0915 MRM2 2018, and have seen some chatter on the Tiguan section that TMC stopped working when they upgraded past the 2017 map.

It might be time to invest in a system (the HEX-CAN is borrowed from a good friend)....would you recommend OBD11 as a more cost effective solution compared to a new ROSS-TECH?

I do have to thank you for the incandescent tail light mods!

Users Country Flag
    aim54X: As I said, I'm bewildered as to why TMC is so problematic on your car.

if you have force-fed hex09 into Byte 13 and if it was accepted by the hex5F module, and if the RDS and TP options have been activated, and if you are in a place where the SUNA facility can be received (which is really the Capital Cities) then I'm at a loss to suggest anything else - my apology for not being able to help.

If all the "ifs" above are true, I wouldn't have thought that buying another type of diagnostic tool would solve your problem. However, as to your question about choosing between OBD11 dongle, or a Ross-Tech tool, while the question itself is simple, the answer is far more complex - I believe.

Because I have had a long interest (entirely as a amateur) in the reasoning why folk make different purchasing decisions and as I have a passing acquaintance with diagnostic tools - I've happily participated in quite a few discussions regarding VCDS versus OBD11 (and occasionally, with the inclusion of VCP). My singular conclusion in debating this on different forums with various, invariably very intelligent folk is that its not a one-size-fits-all issue. And, if the potential buyer is completely honest about the reasoning for his/her ultimate choice, its probably not even a purely logical decision - and frankly a logical decision isn't necessary (read my post about what you want versus what you need).

So - my suggestion is to look through the New Kid on the Block thread (latter part) - or simply acknowledge that world is replete with purchasers who are ultimately driven by their own prejudges (I'm one of these) and let your heart guide your decision!!!

Here endeth a gratuitous explanation of my hypothesis on buyer purchasing mechanisms for OBD diagnostic cables!!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 03-08-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    aim54X: As I said, I'm bewildered as to why TMC is so problematic on your car.

if you have force-fed hex09 into Byte 13 and if it was accepted by the hex5F module, and if the RDS and TP options have been activated, and if you are in a place where the SUNA facility can be received (which is really the Capital Cities) then I'm at a loss to suggest anything else - my apology for not being able to help.

If all the "ifs" above are true, I wouldn't have thought that buying another type of diagnostic tool would solve your problem. However, as to your question about choosing between OBD11 dongle, or a Ross-Tech tool, while the question itself is simple, the answer is far more complex - I believe.
    Thanks Don, I will continue to drive around in the said vehicle and see if SUNA eventually connects. I am based in Sydney and will be using the car a lot more over the weekend, so hopefully it will eventually decide to do its thing now that hex09 is in Byte 13. I suspect that buying another tools will not solve this issue, but it will give me more freedom to play with other settings.

If I decide to look for, and downgrade my maps to see if that allows for TMC I will keep this thread informed. In the mean time I may continue to ignore that “TRAFFIC” button on the dash.

Because I have had a long interest (entirely as a amateur) in the reasoning why folk make different purchasing decisions and as I have a passing acquaintance with diagnostic tools - I've happily participated in quite a few discussions regarding VCDS versus OBD11 (and occasionally, with the inclusion of VCP). My singular conclusion in debating this on different forums with various, invariably very intelligent folk is that its not a one-size-fits-all issue. And, if the potential buyer is completely honest about the reasoning for his/her ultimate choice, its probably not even a purely logical decision - and frankly a logical decision isn't necessary (read my post about what you want versus what you need).

So - my suggestion is to look through the New Kid on the Block thread (latter part) - or simply acknowledge that world is replete with purchasers who are ultimately driven by their own prejudges (I'm one of these) and let your heart guide your decision!!!

Here endeth a gratuitous explanation of my hypothesis on buyer purchasing mechanisms for OBD diagnostic cables!!
    I do agree with you that there are many reasons for our decisions as buyers, and I will sit down later to have a proper read of that linked thread. Thank you for all your help and advice.

aim54x - been quietly reading your experience. I am in the same boat with trying to reactivate TMC after loading 1010 MRM2 2018/19 maps.
    I had had no problem with 0821 MRM2 2017/18 maps and when 0915 MRM2 2018 came out the problems started. What I did was revert back to 0821.
    I have the OBD11 and have checked, rechecked and rechecked the settings as you have gone through to no avail.
    I have removed the TMC data from the 0821 version and loaded this onto the 1010 version on the SD card - no luck.
    I have reloaded version 0821 back with only the map file (country.fcf from file 22/sds/au/en) from version 1010 onto the SD card and still no TMC.
    Loaded the original 0821 version back to the SD card and it works in about 2 minutes parked in a garage. So there is something with the country.fcf file that has to be the issue.

End of the day I have just plugged in my phone and google earth maps with traffic via android auto gives better information. Still this is only a band aid fix, as I also don't like having a useless traffic button now.

Also re Ross Tech verses OBD11 - have a Mirco-CAN cable from Ross Tech, support is still there and works great but after using the OBD11 - I am hooked. So much easier and convenient to operate.
    Last edited by Flipper Dog; 03-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast