Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supernova headlight upgrade.

I've noticed that the DRL's are turning off when the headlights come on. Does anyone know how to keep the DRL'S on using obdeleven?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gh172 View Post
    I've noticed that the DRL's are turning off when the headlights come on. Does anyone know how to keep the DRL'S on using obdeleven?

Its in Module 09 Central electrics but Ive forgotten which setting it is

Is a bit of a useless thing anyway as with heads on you cant even see the DRL's and legally they are supposed to at least dim with heads anyway
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Its in Module 09 Central electrics but Ive forgotten which setting it is

Is a bit of a useless thing anyway as with heads on you cant even see the DRL's and legally they are supposed to at least dim with heads anyway
    I have heard that you can set it to dim to around 30%

After some research on the obdeleven forums I managed to find out how to apply the change. Looks much better!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gh172 View Post
    After some research on the obdeleven forums I managed to find out how to apply the change. Looks much better!

Do share it with us

Users Country Flag
    Do share it with us
    Hillbilly: It really depends on what type of headlights were installed in the car from new (i.e. incandescent, or HID) and therefore which pins on the hex09 module control the DRL/Parking-light lamps.

Assuming the car in question originally had halogen headlight fittings and assuming that the car was sold in Australia - the tweak is simply:

Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion E 4 > Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
    Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lichtfunktion E 5 >Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)

These channels had the factory setting Standlicht vorn (Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht) which meant that Parking-light function would only turn-on when the rotary light switch (the LDS) was in parking light position (i.e. they wouldn't illuminate with low-beam lights)

The dimming levels as factory set for the above channels is 31%, This level avoided flaring problems from reflectors in the OEM fittings that didn't have the appropriate cut-off characteristics for night-time operation. I'm not sure how the new Nova fittings would behave at night if this dimming level is retained; it might be necessary to also tweak the Dimmert EF channels on the left/right Leuchte-sets if this is a problem

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 02-08-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Hillbilly: It really depends on what type of headlights were installed in the car from new (i.e. incandescent, or HID) and therefore which pins on the hex09 module control the DRL/Parking-light lamps.

Assuming the car in question originally had halogen headlight fittings and assuming that the car was sold in Australia - the tweak is simply:

Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion E 4 > Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)
    Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lichtfunktion E 5 >Standlicht allgemein (Schlusslicht; Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht)

These channels had the factory setting Standlicht vorn (Positionslicht; Begrenzungslicht) which meant that Parking-light function would only turn-on when the rotary light switch (the LDS) was in parking light position (i.e. they wouldn't illuminate with low-beam lights)

The dimming levels as factory set for the above channels is 31%, This level avoided flaring problems from reflectors in the OEM fittings that didn't have the appropriate cut-off characteristics for night-time operation. I'm not sure how the new Nova fittings would behave at night if this dimming level is retained; it might be necessary to also tweak the Dimmert EF channels on the left/right Leuchte-sets if this is a problem

Don
    Isnt it illegal if car is fitted with DRL's to turn them off when car is moving Is part of the ADR rules which I confirmed with QLD TMR as per the reply i got when asking if it was legal to turn them off

Thank you for contacting the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) about turning off your Daytime Running Lights.

Any lighting on a motor vehicle needs to meet the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). Volkswagen has complied the vehicle to the ADR’s and any lights that have been fitted must operate the way it was supplied to market. ADR 13 is the relevant ADR for the fitment of lights to a vehicle.

Also there is a state rule that states the vehicle must meet the ADR’s and in the vehicle standards Code of Practice states that any light fitted to a vehicle must be operational as per the manufacturers standards. Link attached for your reference
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 02-08-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Isnt it illegal if car is fitted with DRL's to turn them off when car is moving
    hmm....... let's not confuse what some folk call a DRL (lamp) with the DRL function that is described in the ADR. Mk7 Golfs and other VAG vehicles have a single multi-purpose lamp which at various times functions as:

• DRL,
    • DRL wink,
    • Parking Light (PL),
    • Coming/Leaving home,
    • Single Side Parking Light
    • Lock/Unlock Acknowledgement

Of itself, the tweak that OP has implemented doesn't turn-off the DRL function and by inference therefore , I suspect that the ADR is not contravened by a breach of this particular part of the street code.

The restriction in the ADR is not impacted because the DRL function is already switched-off by the low-beam lights when the PL function is enabled. Lots of cars on our roads have headlight assemblies that illuminate both a PL and a low-beam light on each side and assuming that there is no flaring from the PL reflector, I suspect that the car is still road legal in Australia

Also there is a state rule that states the vehicle must meet the ADR’s and in the vehicle standards Code of Practice states that any light fitted to a vehicle must be operational as per the manufacturers standards
    hmm...... I respectfully defer to everyone else's better understanding of the (QLD?) state rules than mine - given the tyranny of distance between my State (which currently has the unenviable title as Australia's premier COVID state) and the far away northern borders of Queensland. And just as an aside, OP (who implemented the tweak) is from Western Australia, so I suspect that he/she might not be too interested in QLD's State road rule amendments!!

But you are correct in highlighting that consideration of ALL road rules is required before changing the lighting on vehicles.

This notwithstanding, I'm sure that you will agree with my view that the liability accepted on this forum by those providing advice is EXACTLY equal to the fiscal payment that we both receive for providing that advice - which is absolutely zero. There can only ever be one person who takes-on full accountability for the financial, technical, warranty, or legal consequences of the changes that he/she makes- and it most definitely ain't me (nor is it you)!!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 02-08-2020 at 02:29 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Every vehicle however must observe ADR rules its ADR 13 Any lighting on a motor vehicle needs to meet the Australian Design Rules (ADRs). Volkswagen has complied the vehicle to the ADR’s and any lights that have been fitted must operate the way it was supplied to market. ADR 13 is the relevant ADR for the fitment of lights to a vehicle.

What I was asking him originally was referring to the LED DRL's in Highline models which are specifically DRL

Not multifunction lights as you refer to.

Yes there are some who think legality and common sense is something that applies to others especially in your State at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    .....This notwithstanding, I'm sure that you will agree with my view that the liability accepted on this forum by those providing advice is EXACTLY equal to the fiscal payment that we both receive for providing that advice - which is absolutely zero. There can only ever be one person who takes-on full accountability for the financial, technical, warranty, or legal consequences of the changes that he/she makes- and it most definitely ain't me (nor is it you)!!

Don
    Love this advice. So very true !
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast