Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperCharge MF66HSS AGM battery for '14 MK7 TDI highline

Users Country Flag

Lightbulb SuperCharge MF66HSS AGM battery for '14 MK7 TDI highline

Hi Guys,

Looks like my battery is about to die, showed low battery couple of times.
    I had a bit of research and found out Supercharge is value for money compared to Varta, Bosch.
    How you guys find it? Is it better than Century DIN65LHMF and Exide SSAGM-66EU?
    Also, do the BEM code needs to be updated along with battery replacement.
    If so can battery stores update the BEM coding or I have to get that done from VW servicing ?

Thanks heaps.

Cheers
    Jit

Users Country Flag
    Any luck with this; I have a similar issue with my 14 TDI and am looking for a replacement battery.

Users Country Flag
    I had my 2013 MK7 golf serviced in mid December and they reported the battery at 66% efficiency, no rush come back after Xmas,
    so I started the research.
    I quickly found out that most battery providers have no idea about the difference between lead acid, EFB, AGM batteries and more importantly the coding required for modern vehicles....."ermm, we just put them in and the lights go out in a coupla days so it's OK".
    Well it's not OK, my EFB battery is at end of life so the alternator is charging at a higher rate and will continue to do so unless the car is told it has a new battery and instead of an EFB it is an AGM...."ermmm, yes we have had a few AGM's fail in less than a year, and we don't know how to code your car, better take it to VW".
    This was what I got from Supercharge, Exide, Century, Kmart Auto, Autobarn etc etc.
    I decided to source a battery from Transporter (forum moderator & VW mob. mechanic) but he lives the opposite side of Adelaide and we could not hook up so close to Xmas, so roll the dice and try again in early January.
    Bugga...1:30pm Saturday before Xmas dead battery.
    Luckily my local Battery World owner (ex auto electrician)was on the ball and supplied me a new Century AGM($380) half hour before closing and arranged for me to visit another branch on Xmas eve(Monday) for coding.
    It turns out the Century battery is a re-badged German made Varta but Century will soon be sourcing these from Korea.

What's an EFB?

I cannot understand what difference it would make to the alternator what type of battery and why would it need coding (if this is possible).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    What's an EFB?

I cannot understand what difference it would make to the alternator what type of battery and why would it need coding (if this is possible).
    syncro:Hi - very good question. Here's what VW says about EFB batteries:

Design characteristics:
    Just like wet batteries, but also:
    • Thicker negative grid; this results in a higher corrosion resistance, particularly under high current loads.
    • Measures for increasing the quality of the positive active material, depending on the manufacturer.
    • Addition of carbon to the negative material; this results in better power absorption and therefore better charging characteristics.
    • Slight increase in lead use and weight.

Advantages
    • Maintenance-free
    • Long service life
    • Cold start guaranteed down to -25 °C
    • Deep-discharge guarantee
    • High performance capacity
    • Suitable for start/stop systems with petrol engines (beginning from 22/11)
    • In terms of charge-discharge frequency, it is between the wet battery and the glass mat battery (AGM)

So - for these reasons, EFB is a mid-price (not as good as AGM) battery for cars with Start-Stop facility. And it does have a different charging profile to normal Lead-Acid batteries for optimum performance. So the generator output is "tuned" differently to get the best out of the battery and to ensure battery longevity.

As for your question regarding coding - the answer is YES! When replacing the battery on a mk7, it's advantageous to tell the car that a new battery is installed (and what type of battery it is). MQB platform vehicles like the mk7 are quite sophisticated - if you want the best performance from your battery investment, the car needs to know about the commercial decision you made (i.e. which battery to buy).

As to whether there is value in buying a cheaper plain lead-acid battery versus EFB, or AGM - I suggest that you read the publicly available material and make an informed decision (remember Start-Stop, if you have it)

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    As for your question regarding coding - the answer is YES! When replacing the battery on a mk7, it's advantageous to tell the car that a new battery is installed (and what type of battery it is). MQB platform vehicles like the mk7 are quite sophisticated - if you want the best performance from your battery investment, the car needs to know about the commercial decision you made (i.e. which battery to buy).

As to whether there is value in buying a cheaper plain lead-acid battery versus EFB, or AGM - I suggest that you read the publicly available material and make an informed decision (remember Start-Stop, if you have it)

Don
    Yet another great reply from a very helpful member of this community. Thanks Don
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Thanks Don. It's all getting a bit complex nowadays. I wonder if anyone ever actually recodes them when changing the battery?
    Last edited by syncro; 15-03-2019 at 01:32 PM.

I have a 2014 Highline. Has been sluggish to start last few days. Today wouldn't start. Called Marshall batteries, came to my house and replaced old EFB with an AGM and did all re-coding within 10 minutes.

The standard VW batteries don't seem to be lasting too long. Must be the stop start.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by retrojit View Post
    found out Supercharge MF66HSS AGM battery is value for money compared
    I have this Supercharge MF66HSS AGM battery fitted to my Mk7 GTI (fitted by previous owner so im not sure how old it is). Works just fine and fits in the battery tray. My only gripe is that the top of the battery is bright yellow so its quite ugly, so I have purchased a plastic VW battery cover to hide it. I have disabled the start/stop function (I dont like it plus they are battery killers) so im hoping the battery will last until after I sell the car in a few years time. I do hook it up to my CTEK charger once a week or so and give it a good charge up too, which should help maximise its life.

Quote Originally Posted by syncro View Post
    The standard VW batteries don't seem to be lasting too long. Must be the stop start.
    Yes stop/start is a battery killer. Every 3-4 years and you will be buying a new expensive battery and negating any tiny fuel savings you might have made using the stop/start system each day. The battery will last much longer if you disable the start/stop function.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast