Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop Start Technology

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gargui View Post
    And unfortunately these 'different' batteries cost a lot more than your standard. I was just quoted $435 for a replacement for the Golf R. Combined with the additional wear on the starter motor and pathetic amount of 'petrol savings' I'm stopping just short of calling the entire feature a car company conspiracy.
    Yeah, my dad has just had to replace his battery on his Porsche Boxster and Porsche go as far as saying you have to go back to the dealer to have the car recalibrated. So they sell you a battery and recalibration for about £500! Ludicrous.

Then you look at my Hyundai i30N which is brand new, Euro VI compliant and does not have stop/start technology. Makes me think it’s a farce to have it fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    I disabled this about a year ago, but after sitting in some crazy melbourne traffic I can see times when it would actually save me some fuel.

The whole problem with it is that it should be switchable on demand rather than always on when you start the car, and it sometimes cuts off the engine whilst your still moving or stopping for a couple of seconds.. really annoying

Has anyone had any success lowering the sensitivity of the system? possibly raising the minimum voltage to 9/10v?
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    I disabled this about a year ago, but after sitting in some crazy melbourne traffic I can see times when it would actually save me some fuel.

The whole problem with it is that it should be switchable on demand rather than always on when you start the car, and it sometimes cuts off the engine whilst your still moving or stopping for a couple of seconds.. really annoying

Has anyone had any success lowering the sensitivity of the system? possibly raising the minimum voltage to 9/10v?
    Flat6: Hi- great minds think alike (let's not entertain the other side of that saying)!!!

Fact is alas that the only way to achieve your wants is to fit a physical device to car. There are an increasing number of these devices appearing on the market - but those that automatically switch-off SS and then subsequently allow the driver to re-enable SS later in the journey ostensibly work by mimicking the driver pressing the native SS button on the center console.

If you are interested in a REAL (read, more flexible) solution to the way that SS should operate - you could make and install your own device - like THIS - the unit that I made has been working flawlessly for over 5 years!! And, yes after SS is automatically set to off on ignition switch-on, it does allow the driver to re-engage SS later in the journey - not that I have ever done this in the 5 x year period (I hate SS with a vengeance!!)

Or you could buy THIS - it's simple to install (I think/believe) and it has a secret "service" mode for when you take the car to the stealer. But be warned that the unit that I purchased (purely for academic interest - I don't need to replace my self-built device) was delivered with no instructions and I couldn't get any sense from the supplier. I had to mount the device on my workbench to figure-out how to use it.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 27-09-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Flat6: Hi- great minds think alike (let's not entertain the other side of that saying)!!!

Fact is alas that the only way to achieve your wants is to fit a physical device to car. There are an increasing number of these devices appearing on the market - but those that automatically switch-off SS and then subsequently allow the driver to re-enable SS later in the journey ostensibly work by mimicking the driver pressing the native SS button on the center console.

If you are interested in a REAL (read, more flexible) solution to the way that SS should operate - you could make and install your own device - like THIS - the unit that I made has been working flawlessly for over 5 years!! And, yes after SS is automatically set to off on ignition switch-on, it does allow the driver to re-engage SS later in the journey - not that I have ever done this in the 5 x year period (I hate SS with a vengeance!!)

Or you could buy THIS - it's simple to install (I think/believe) and it has a secret "service" mode for when you take the car to the stealer. But be warned that the unit that I purchased (purely for academic interest - I don't need to replace my self-built device) was delivered with no instructions and I couldn't get any sense from the supplier. I had to mount the device on my workbench to figure-out how to use it.

Don
    Don being both knowledgeable & helpful (as usual )

APR have recently introduced an ECU tune that sets the Stop/Start to off as default, but the driver can re-activate it (if they ever want, which is very rare in my case).

"Finally, the auto start-stop feature is now disabled by default, and can be enabled by clicking the button!"

APR High Output 2.0 TSI/TFSI Gen3 ECU Upgrade for the MQB Platform
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post

Don
    Thanks for the info Don, Glad i'm not the only one who thought about this

I do remember reading up about this circuit design a while back but it was a lot of work to put together, Greg had a good point, I may speak to the guys at volkwerke next time and see if they can update my tune!

Has anyone actually tested the APR update for this?
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    No need to spend a fortune on batteries for vehicles with a Start/Stop function.

You can purchase a Delkor EFB LN3 - 70EFB for $279.95 at Every Battery.

Factory specifications: Delkor Delkor EFB LN3 - 70EFB.
    I'm probably wrong but I believe Golf 7.5 do have a regenerative breaking system??? In this case this battery is not the correct battery.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post

Has anyone actually tested the APR update for this?
    I recently had Stage II APR on Golf R 7.5 and unfortunately the start/stop disable was not available for my ECU. I did enable the 'pops and bangs' mode which now has it sounding like a RS3 on deceleration.

Quote Originally Posted by mickofoz View Post
    I'm probably wrong but I believe Golf 7.5 do have a regenerative breaking system??? In this case this battery is not the correct battery.
    Although information on the websites of several automotive battery manufacturers suggests that AGM batteries are more suited for vehicles with start/stop systems that incorporate a regenerative braking function, it does not explicitly prohibit the use of EFB batteries on such vehicles.

In addition, if you check under the bonnet of your Golf, you will find that Volkswagen will have fitted an EFB battery from the factory.

Having said that, one may of course choose to fit an AGM battery if desired - just change the battery type from EFB to AGM in the options menu during the registration process when fitting the new replacement battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    Although information on the websites of several automotive battery manufacturers suggests that AGM batteries are more suited for vehicles with start/stop systems that incorporate a regenerative braking function, it does not explicitly prohibit the use of EFB batteries on such vehicles.

In addition, if you check under the bonnet of your Golf, you will find that Volkswagen will have fitted an EFB battery from the factory.

Having said that, one may of course choose to fit an AGM battery if desired - just change the battery type from EFB to AGM in the options menu during the registration process when fitting the new replacement battery.
    My 2013 Mk7 diesel Highline came with an AGM -- still going strong at 6 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post
    My 2013 Mk7 diesel Highline came with an AGM -- still going strong at 6 years old.
    Okay, so it seems that Volkswagen fit AGM batteries on certain Australian delivered Golfs as well.

In any case, my point still stands - that there is no need to spend a fortune on batteries for vehicles with a Start/Stop function.

You can purchase an Exide Evolution SSAGM-66EU battery for $285.00 at The Battery Case in VIC.

Or the same battery for $290.00 at My Battery Shop in NSW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast