Support VWWC

Thread: Stop/Start Function has stopped working

Stop/Start Function has stopped working

Hi...Not that I think it is a bad thing but the stop/start function on my 2016 GTI has stopped working. There is now no need to turn it off as soon as I get into the car like before. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Users Country Flag
    Woo just what i need .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Hi...Not that I think it is a bad thing but the stop/start function on my 2016 GTI has stopped working. There is now no need to turn it off as soon as I get into the car like before. Has anyone else experienced this ?
    Wow- that's odd indeed (not that the button has stop working - but that SS now doesn't operate as a consequence). It would be real interesting to understand how the button has failed. Meaning that a simple single-pole, single-throw switch (which is what the SS button is) can only fail in the "open", or "closed" state.

In work that I did with a couple of forum colleagues some time ago, I was convinced that the SS system needed to see an edge of a rising/falling electrical signal (i.e 0v-12v, or 12v-0v) to change status. It's difficult to understand how a failed button could produce this type of electrical condition. But I'm more than happy to be proven wrong!!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 04-07-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Or it could be simply the battery doesn't have enough charge to run the auto stop/start system. If the battery isn't good enough it just disables the auto s/s, but I think it usually displays an error msg.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    The car is 4+ years old, these batteries are known to fail even before this age, and its the middle of winter when weak batteries go to die.

I dare say this is the first sign that the battery in you GTI is on its way out. The start/stop ceases to operate, then other weird electrical things can sometimes start happening before the battery finally refuses to start the car one day in the near future.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The car is 4+ years old, these batteries are known to fail even before this age, and its the middle of winter when weak batteries go to die.

I dare say this is the first sign that the battery in you GTI is on its way out. The start/stop ceases to operate, then other weird electrical things can sometimes start happening before the battery finally refuses to start the car one day in the near future.
    Thanks to all for the feedback, the battery charger is on the car right now so lets see if that fixes it..The car is June 2016 and I am pretty sure its the original battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Thanks to all for the feedback, the battery charger is on the car right now so lets see if that fixes it..The car is June 2016 and I am pretty sure its the original battery.
    I agree with Lucas_R, your battery may be nearing the end of its useful life. It is possible you have a charging issue, but a failing battery is much more likely.

If you want to find out what condition your battery really is you need to load test it, not just measure voltage after charging.

I prefer to change batteries before they leave me stranded as that can sometimes be a proper PITA. If you are going to keep the car for a few more years look at an AGM battery rather than than the cheaper EFB. You will also need to tell your car it has a new battery and what sort of battery you have fitted.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Mine does the same. I only do small trips around town and the SS never kicks in. If I go for a 100k drive it will start working again but next day when I start the car it's stopped working again. Recently had the cars 2nd year service and VW said the battery was in good condition so NFI what's going on.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by onefinger View Post
    ........ Recently had the cars 2nd year service and VW said the battery was in good condition so NFI what's going on.
    onefinger: Hi

Here's a bunch of prerequisites that must be satisfied for Start Stop (SS) to successfully stop the engine

• The vehicle is stationary (speed = 0km/h).
    • Seat-belt must be fastened
    • The engine speed is below 1200rpm.
    • The coolant temperature is between 25°C and 100°C.
    • The brake vacuum is more than 550mbar.
    • The energy required to restart the engine that was calculated before “engine off” can be supplied by the battery (starting voltage prediction).
    • The battery temperature is greater or equal to -1°C and less than 55°C.
    • The air-conditioning requirement of the occupants is not too high.
    • The difference between target and actual vent temperature is below 8°C.
    • battery voltage must be above a threshold
    • no trailer attached
    • The diesel particulate filter is not in regeneration mode (diesel engines only).

Please note that these are "AND" conditions - so ALL the conditions above must be satisfied.

Is it any wonder that on some (many?) occasions Start Stop doesn't work as expected??

Don

PS: It can sometimes be amusing (even helpful) to invoke the screen below when the SS-with-Slash symbol appears. Notice the person-head on some entries - these are the factors causing SS not to function that are in the driver's control.

Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Mine is exclusively power consumption too high.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk