Thread: Stereo expert needed

Stereo expert needed

Hi all, just bought a 2014 gti.... the stereo is painful. Tiny screen and the navigation takes forever to do anything.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the resident stereo guru? Im in desperate need of upgrading the head unit to a new unit with Android auto and all the coding etc involved. Would rather pay than DIY.

Based in Melbourne 3002

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by George118118 View Post
    Hi all, just bought a 2014 gti.... the stereo is painful. Tiny screen and the navigation takes forever to do anything.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the resident stereo guru? Im in desperate need of upgrading the head unit to a new unit with Android auto and all the coding etc involved. Would rather pay than DIY.

Based in Melbourne 3002

Thanks!
    Try Autofidelity
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Users Country Flag
    VWCentral are in Melbourne and sell the later model Mk7 head units. Not sure if they offer installation and coding services though.

Not cheap though...

Another option might be a stereo out of a 2015-16 model GTI/R with factory Carplay then you can buy a wireless Carplay adapter like this CarPlay Wireless USB Adapter Dongle For Factory Fitted Vehicles Much better maps etc but you still have the smallish screen. I have this on my 2015 GTI and am happy with it (screen size does not bother me).

Genuine VW - Discovery Pro (MIB II) with Mirror Link & CarPlay 8" Display - VWC-MIBIIMQB

VWC-9.2MIB2.5RetrofitKit - Genuine VW MIB 2.5 + 9.2" Display & Discover Pro (Apple CarPlay & Android Auto) - As seen in 2018 Facelift Models

If your car is a 2014 (MY15) model then has the MIB1 with the 5.8 inch screen and no KESSY.

In 2015 (MY16 models) got the MIB2 6.5 inch infotainment system that includes Apple Carplay and Android Auto and the Keyless Start Stop.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 27-04-2021 at 11:58 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    VWCentral are in Melbourne and sell the later model Mk7 head units. Not sure if they offer installation and coding services though.
    They do offer installation and coding. I got my folding mirrors on my mk7.5 retrofitted by them (required coding and highline drivers door control module)
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies.
    I actually pulled out of the sale (blue GTI @ Pierre Collet motors, Melbourne) they were good enough to give me half the deposit back.

I bought a beautiful 16 plate GTI with carplay today, I would love one of those dongles but they only work with carplay and I have android.

I'll post some pictures of my new car in the newbies section.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

Hi mate, I can help it you are looking to upgrade to the MIB2 or MIB 2.5 systems.

CHeers