Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering wheel functions not working

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    What is the exact fault that is logged?
    It could be the steering wheel buttons themselves (replaceable) or the airbag harness, or the slip ring.
    I'd have to check the wiring diagram but I think in mqb cars the steering wheel just has a Lin bus connection to the BCM as compared to in Mk5/mk6 where there is a steering wheel control module in the steering column which the wheel talks to.

Kamold: You always seem to ask the big questions!!

You are correct in your hypothesis: the management of the multi-function steering wheel module fundamentally changed on MQB platform vehicles - it became directly integrated into the CAN network.

As you have said, the multi-function steering wheel control unit (J453) has traditionally been a LIN slave to the steering column electronics control unit. However, on MQB platform vehicles, J453 is connected to the CAN Gateway module (J533), but it does this still as a LIN slave. I produced the pic below some time ago - it's my feeble attempt at showing the difference in design philosophy:

My lay-person understanding (which is of course subject to your advice to the contrary) is that while the CAN network comms happen directly between J453 and the Gateway module, the mechanism for the signal transfers from the multi-function module is still physically transmitted via the coil connectors and the steering column control unit. But I believe that this is done purely for wiring reasons and I suspect that it happens because of the physical closeness of the various components. The wheeling of the CAN wires via J527 has no effect on the steering column module - I think .

Here's how the multi-function module is wired:

It's not shown in my wiring diagram above, but J453 doesn't have a direct connection to any fuses - it appears to thieve its 12 Volt power from J527 which is itself fused to position #9, or position #41 on the "glove-box fuse panel depending on whether the car was built before/or after Nov 2013.

In terms of Clinton's description of the problem, I will always bow to your more experienced knowledge, but I suspect that it might be prudent to inspect the connectors to the actual buttons and perhaps the connections/wires between J453 and J527 (although it is strange that there are no LIN failure error messages in this case).

Lastly, it would be nice to see the actual error message- at least to determine if J453 is still being registered in the CAN Gateway list, or if the DTC suggests that there is a comms failure problem.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 28-07-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah agree Don just unplugging and reconnecting is always the first step.
    To the OP, if you're anywhere near North West Sydney I'm happy to have a look and at least get a better understanding of the problem.
    I don't have a spare steering wheel control module but we can at least check the connectors, put a multimeter on pins and check the exact fault code.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Thanks for the replies guys, even though it's a bit over my head i appreciate you guys helping discuss on it. I can't get the full error code as i had to go to a mechanic who made me pay to initially scan it.
    I actually live in Carlingford in North West Sydney so if you could take a look would be great and i'll chuck in a case of your favourite for your time. Can you pm me? I can't seem to find an option to PM you.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

Hi Guys,
    I have the same problem of Clinton. Do you know anyone that can fix it in Queensland?

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12