Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Shift lever micro switch issue

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    93

    Shift lever micro switch issue

    I recently had the warning that says “Error, leave vehicle in P position” while driving and from my research it seems to be a common issue overseas. They even had an official recall for a compliance recall on shift lever micro switch in the US. I was wondering if there was one as well in Australia or if anyone had it fixed out of warranty.
    MY20 Tiguan Allspace Black - R-Line, S&V, Pano roof
    MY11 MK6 GTI Black - Leather, Sunroof etc.
    MY17 MK7 Golf 92 TSI
    MY18 Mazda CX-9 Touring AWD (For sale)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,969
    Users Country Flag
    Pretty common issue here too, but I dont believe there was a recall in Australia.

    As far as I know, America was the only country who issued a recall.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    93
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Pretty common issue here too, but I dont believe there was a recall in Australia.

    As far as I know, America was the only country who issued a recall.

    Thanks for the heads up. Would it be something that I could possibly get it fixed out of warranty? The part itself doesn’t look too expensive but watching the DIY video it involves a bit of labour/time to take things apart.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,969
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbed12 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Would it be something that I could possibly get it fixed out of warranty? The part itself doesn’t look too expensive but watching the DIY video it involves a bit of labour/time to take things apart.
    Might be worth a try - assuming this is for your MY2017 92TSI Golf? Could argue this part should last longer than 5 years. This part has luckily not failed (yet) in my 2015 Mk7 GTI.

    Otherwise, seeing you are in Melbourne, you have a decent selection of VW specialist mechanic workshops that could potentially do it for you.
    2015 Mk7 GTI Performance
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    93
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Might be worth a try - assuming this is for your MY2017 92TSI Golf? Could argue this part should last longer than 5 years. This part has luckily not failed (yet) in my 2015 Mk7 GTI.

    Otherwise, seeing you are in Melbourne, you have a decent selection of VW specialist mechanic workshops that could potentially do it for you.

    Sorry, it was for our 92TSI Golf just coming up to 5 years in March. I’ll give them a call and see what they say. Otherwise I might take it down to one of the VW specialists.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Adelaide SA
    Posts
    21
    Users Country Flag
    fixed this issue myself, using part 5Q0713128A there is another part depending on your model - mine is 16 Mk7, watched video Mk7 Golf R - Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P - Repair kit walk through - YouTube - mine was the other type so used info here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V615-0044.pdf - had to use a combination of both methods to get to the shifter but an easy repair, took about an hour and a half. Part was $137.50 from the stealer, cheaper if you get it from overseas

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    93
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by KFiddy View Post
    fixed this issue myself, using part 5Q0713128A there is another part depending on your model - mine is 16 Mk7, watched video Mk7 Golf R - Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P - Repair kit walk through - YouTube - mine was the other type so used info here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V615-0044.pdf - had to use a combination of both methods to get to the shifter but an easy repair, took about an hour and a half. Part was $137.50 from the stealer, cheaper if you get it from overseas


    Thanks for the detailed reply, I only saw it now. I haven’t got around to it yet so I’ll look into that video as well - I’ve watched one previously but it looked like it needs a lot of trimming to be removed to replace it.

    I’m getting other warranty issue looked at on my Tiguan in 2 weeks’ time so I’ll ask them if they could do it out of warranty just in case - would this be considered part of 5 year transmission warranty? Being MY17 it only came with a 3 year warranty.

    Shifting lever 10-15 times trick didn’t work for me but having Auto start stop on helped a lot for some reason until recently so now I need get it sorted.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
| |