Thread: Replace console cubby with LHD version?

Replace console cubby with LHD version?

I'm keen to get a nice wireless charging solution in my car but all the items I can find are for LHD cars, which have their cubby orientated the other way.

I had the idea that if you can't beat 'em, join 'em and it would be easier to convert my car to a LHD cars cubby.

Does anybody know if it's a possible swap to remove the entire cubby with one for a LHD car, which I would basically buy one with QI charging built in.

Thanks,

Vic
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Do you have a link or the part number for the LHD version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm looking at is this: For VW Golf 7 GTI R Installation Wireless Charging Module Package 5NA 980 611|Fuses| - AliExpress

It appears to be an original LHD cubby with factory wireless charging.

Could the part number be 5G1 863 391 K 82V?

Users Country Flag
    Genebaby: Notwithstanding that I consider your project to install a LHD center console into a RHD car to be "quite novel" (read, very "courageous") - perhaps something like this

Don't get me wrong, I wish you every success in the venture. However, at some point in the retrofit, a part (or more likely multiple parts) of the new LHD console will need to fit into existing part(s) on the RHD car. It might be clear to you, but I'm not quite sure how much of the RHD dashboard needs to be replaced around the center console area.

As an alternative and with the caveat that I have never installed one of these modules - it looks like the active part of the module is just clipped into the bottom of the cubby housing - see the tabs in the picture below from your link:

If this is the case, then perhaps a "less-courageous" option is buy a 2nd-hand cubby from another RHD car (wrecker purchase) and modify the attachment arrangement? Even if you have to plastic-weld the module enclosure to the RHD cubby, all the work is done on the underside of the cubby - so it's not seen!! And, in the alternative that you don't have the skills required to fix the module to the bottom of the RHD housing - you have saved the price of a new LHD cubby, which can be spent on the services of a professional provider!!

In any event, I would personally start by trying other solutions first; marrying-up disparate parts from different drive vehicles can only result in many tears and in multiple expletives - IMHO, of course!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 13-08-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Do you use CarPlay or android Auto? Wireless charging doesn’t seem like it would be much benefit if you rely on Carplay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha, soon there will be a wireless android auto device available and I want to be ready, right now I've been using a cable for years. So many years of cable free BT connection ruined because of Android Auto and how good it is in the car.

Don, your link takes me to a sticker kit? I have seen a new console section which is for LHD cars where the start button is placed on the other side, but that would just be a pain. It's bad enough we have the engine buttons on the other side of the stick.

When I was looking at buying a Kodiaq two years ago, all the tech was appealing (including the whole vehicle having ambient lighting), and I knew that the only other thing I could see that I would want is wireless AA or Carplay for the iPhone people. Many cars are getting that now, but not the 7.5 and I would never buy a Mk8 Golf in a fit of insanity.

Even US 75's are getting wireless via a new infotatainment system and USB C ports, but things will be fine when this new device hits the market, I can can stick it somewhere out of the way and life should be sweet.

It's true the factory unit has the charger at the bottom, and they can be purchased by themselves, but it seems a mat is needed/helpful and they only seem to come in, guess what? LHD!!!

Surely there are enough RHD cars for the Aliexpress people to cater to us?

This is the device I was talking about, it has recently gone live for upcoming production

AAWireless | Indiegogo

People have been playing with it as an app on various old phones and Android TV sticks, but this is what I've been waiting for, the custom hardware for Android users to have a wireless option.

So rather than getting a Brodit setup and a QI charging phone holder like I have before, I'd rather have the OEM solution in this car.

So far I've not had luck with sourcing a RHD cubby that supports the OEM QI charging, despite many European cars having this availabe for a couple of years or so.