Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RACQ/NRMA Or Genuine VW Battery

RACQ/NRMA Or Genuine VW Battery

Hi, there is a approximately a $100 difference between a NRMA/RACQ battery and the genuine one from VW. With VW being more expensive of course. Is there a difference in operation, or how it will affect the car ?

Users Country Flag
    What is the VW code on the battery
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Get an AGM battery, not the cheapo EFB that VW fit (but be prepared to pay more for it).

If you have auto stop/start get the car recoded for the new battery so it charges correctly.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Get an AGM battery, not the cheapo EFB that VW fit (but be prepared to pay more for it).

If you have auto stop/start get the car recoded for the new battery so it charges correctly.
    What will the AGM give me over the EFB ?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    What will the AGM give me over the EFB ?
    Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Longevity
    WHS ^ and therefore reliability (lasts longer before it fails). If you happen to partially drain the battery a bit (eg leave an interior light on, charging phone with engine switched off etc) the AGM has a larger reserve capacity and so is more likely to still be able to start your engine.

That said, if you intend to sell the car within 12-18 months the extra cost of the AGM over an EFB is hard to justify.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

If your car has stop/start, will putting in a regular type battery, even an AGM, cause that function to no longer work?

If so, can you ignore coding it?
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    If your car has stop/start, will putting in a regular type battery, even an AGM, cause that function to no longer work?

Probably not and no Put an AGM in it or wear the consequences if you have electrical problems Remember that those type of problems may not be cheap to fix

An ordinary Lead acid battery may not take to regenerative braking charging though.. Dont cheap out, do it right and yes it needs coding so ECU allows correct charging rate

If you are trying to get S/S disabled thats NOT the way to do it in any shape or form

Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post

(1) No & (2) Sort-of

(1) Stop/start only disables itself if it considers the battery voltage might be too low to restart the engine, that is independent of what kind of battery is fitted (EFB or AGM)

(2) If you don't code the car it won't know a new battery is fitted (nor that it is a different type of battery), which means it won't optimise the charging regime to suit the new battery. This will probably result in the new battery not lasting as long as it should before needing replacement. The car will function quite normally.

Cool guys, good to know this come me battery time, which is hopefully some time away.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast