Support VWWC

Thread: An R conundrum

Users Country Flag

An R conundrum

I have a Wolfsburg R 18 model registered September 17 it's done just under 30K slightly overdue for it's 4 year or 60K service, I haven't used the car much the last 2 years because of retirement and Covid-19. I think they replace spark plugs and do brake fluid in addition to the normal service cost is about $640 I also will need to replace the battery. Since I've only done under 30K is it worth skipping the spark plugs, brake fluid is obviously necessary.

My conundrum.

The car is in mint condition garaged since new, love the car but to me it's more like a collectors item. Do I keep it as a collectors car, do I spend some money upgrading it now it's coming out of warranty, I could upgrade to an 8R but cannot see 30K more value there and also with the EV revolution in full flight wait for an R EV, I could spend $20K building it into a Stage 1+ brake suspension etc. which would be an fantastic option but I may not know where to stop.

Any way thoughts appreciated.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    Depending on how handy you are doing minor things yourself, you can go to Stage 1 + some extras for much less than $20K. I'm at a full Stage 1 including all the intake mods, DV, swaybars, catback exhaust and tune and still less than $6K.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    If its a "collectors item" like you say, best to look after it...

You mention you are "slightly overdue for your 4yr / 60k service", based on your first registration date I would assume that your service was due in September 2021.

Volkswagen Service Schedule: 12mths / 15,000kms (which ever comes first)
    So possibly 1yr service (Sept 2018 ), 2yr service (Sept 2019), 3yr service (Sept 2020) and 4yr service (Sept 2021)...
    Kilometers are irrelevant as you are now basing your service schedule on time.

Major items you would have missed from the 4yr / 60,000kms service include; Brake Fluid, DSG Service (or are you 7spd DSG), Spark Plugs (although I have seen differing messages, some say 4yrs / 60kms, my Superb is actually 6yrs / 90kms as per SKODA, but I have already changed them myself), Pollen Filter, Oil & Filter, possibly Fuel Filter (is on Diesels)etc.

Did you get your Haldex Fluid changed previously. Once again this should have been completed at 3yrs (regardless of your low kilometers).

I hope this info helps you, let us know how you go!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I will book it in, I think brake fluid and spark plugs are the only extra items it has a 7spd DSG, may skip the plugs they can check them. Haldex fluid was changed at 36 months service.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Really how much extra is it to replace the plugs?