Thread: Power gauge limits

Power gauge limits

Hi All,

I am looking to increase the limits of the power gauge on my infotainment system. Currently reads 169kw as its max limit. Is there anyway to increase the max reading via OBDeleven tweak? Got a MK7.5 gti with Infotainment pack.

Cheers,
    Gabriel.

Users Country Flag
    Gabriel: Hi again - interesting question!

Of course the max-reading of 169KWs is entirely appropriate for a GTI that was factory tuned. I assume that your car has had aftermarket tuning - maybe?

I certainly don't have a definitive answer to your question - but I imagine that the "power-meter" in the hex5F module on MQB platform vehicles is basically the same for all engine variations and that the max value is chosen based on the type of power plant installed in the car.

If I'm correct (and I'm just guessing), the critical factor is: how does the meter get the engine variation details? If these details are obtained from the ECU (i.e. the hex01 module), then your question is moot!

In the alternative, if the information is obtained elsewhere, then there may be hope! For example, the hex5F module is told about the version of car by the skins and screening settings in Bytes 17 and Byte 18 of the long code-string.

Again, with the caveat that my diatribe above is nothing more than mental musings - you could try experimenting with these Bytes in an attempt to convince the hex5F module that the engine variation is from a 2L Golf R (say)- perhaps?

Absolutely no guarantee of success- alas

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Gabriel: Hi again - interesting question!

Of course the max-reading of 169KWs is entirely appropriate for a GTI that was factory tuned. I assume that your car has had aftermarket tuning - maybe?

I certainly don't have a definitive answer to your question - but I imagine that the "power-meter" in the hex5F module on MQB platform vehicles is basically the same for all engine variations and that the max value is chosen based on the type of power plant installed in the car.

If I'm correct (and I'm just guessing), the critical factor is: how does the meter get the engine variation details? If these details are obtained from the ECU (i.e. the hex01 module), then your question is moot!

In the alternative, if the information is obtained elsewhere, then there may be hope! For example, the hex5F module is told about the version of car by the skins and screening settings in Bytes 17 and Byte 18 of the long code-string.

Again, with the caveat that my diatribe above is nothing more than mental musings - you could try experimenting with these Bytes in an attempt to convince the hex5F module that the engine variation is from a 2L Golf R (say)- perhaps?

Absolutely no guarantee of success- alas

Don
    Hi again Don!

Thanks for your response. I am suspecting (or hoping) that the information is obtained from elsewhere and by tweaking the infotainment settings to match, say Golf R's setting, the limit will be changed. We see that happening for the speedometer (AID) when changed to match a Golf R's layout. I will try to fiddle around to see if I can increase the limits. And yes, there is an aftermarket tune on mine and according to the tuner, some tuned MK7.5 Golf R's does not have the gauge limited to 228kw.

Cheers,
    Gabriel