Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pls help me choose New Tyres for my Mk7 GTI PP

Users Country Flag

Question Pls help me choose New Tyres for my Mk7 GTI PP

The time has come for some new boots - and I'm overwhelmed by choice

Based on trawling around this forum and other tyre review places, I've got a short list that are all similarly-priced (~$300ea) and thought I'd post here to get final opinions/advice:

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 3
    - ContiSportContact 5p
    - Dunlop Sport Maxx GT
    - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

I'm leaning towards the Goodyears, as they seem to be the best mix of performance and comfort. Or do i push the boat out and get the Michelins (which cost and extra $50ea)

ps ive got the standard PP 19" wheels, tyre size 225/35ZR19

Users Country Flag

Pls help me choose New Tyres for my Mk7 GTI PP

I’ve got 235/35 on 19 inch Prets on my R Wagon. I just changed to 4x Pilot Sport 4. Previously had 4x Contisport then had Hanook Ventus on the front until a puncture recently.

You will not regret the PS4s. They have made the car both more subtle in ride and more nimble in corners. It’s hard to describe. I’m pretty sure they’re crafted from unicorn tears by French wizards high in the alps. Do it.
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy_bm View Post
    I’ve got 235/35 on 19 inch Prets on my R Wagon. I just changed to 4x Pilot Sport 4. Previously had 4x Contisport then had Hanook Ventus on the front until a puncture recently.

You will not regret the PS4s. They have made the car both more subtle in ride and more nimble in corners. It’s hard to describe. I’m pretty sure they’re crafted from unicorn tears by French wizards high in the alps. Do it.
    hows the road noise on them? My current Dunlop Sport Maxx GT got quite noisy as they wore down

Though the thought of Unicorn tear tyres does sound tempting

Users Country Flag
    Not discernibly different but I’ve only done 800 km
    Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Users Country Flag
    Pirelli Zero are great choice to consider, pushed to the limit and far beyond will give you a good adrenaline rush, But Michelin rubber is my next tyre change choice as my daily rides fantastic on that too.

the vast majority of my driving is commuting in ****ty Sydney traffic , with the odd spirited drive every now and then

So i think i'm leaning more towards something more comfortable/quieter over adrenaline rush

OK i've decided that im gonna spoil myself and get the Michelin's

Users Country Flag
    I've just put the Michelins on my TT and they are excellent, good choice
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nickSFC View Post
    the vast majority of my driving is commuting in ****ty Sydney traffic , with the odd spirited drive every now and then

So i think i'm leaning more towards something more comfortable/quieter over adrenaline rush
    Haha, let me clarify the adrenaline I found was at the VW track day sponsor was Pirelli Zero.
    Wet day, impressive stopping power and grip, had a hoot in the GTi- love to hear back when you have the new treads.

Users Country Flag

I replaced the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT on our GTI Performance with the Michelin PS4S and 13,000 on they are still going well. Mind you it is my wife's daily driver....
    Biscay Blue MY10.5 Passat R36 Wagon
    Options: Sunroof, RNS510 Sat Nav, Dynaudio, Power Tailgate, ACC with Front Assist, RVC, BT 9w7, Factory Tint and Factory Towbar
    Night Blue MY15.5 Golf GTI Performance
    Options: Black Vienna Leather, DAP II, Panoramic Sunroof and Voice Control (every box ticked.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast