Thread: Parts Related Questions

Users Country Flag

Parts Related Questions

Hi,

I have two questions:

1. Can anyone tell me the differences in wiring/pin connects between the different types of Golf headlight switch? If I am to install the front fog lights, would I need to install a new switch? Please find a pic of my existing headlight switch.

2. I'm also trying to upgrade my steering wheel to the R-Line model. I can see the same item available from $600-1600. Ebay has a price range $600-900US, while eurocarupgrades is selling for $1500. Any idea of such a huge difference? Could there be fakes? All of these are steering wheel with air bag module.

regards,

Nitin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parts Related Questions-9wzv1yzk43t98mzmvzggbrrky-jpg  

Parts Related Questions

Looks like you have the fog light switch already. Just pull the entire knob out to turn on and push back in to turn off.

If you’re lucky you’ll already have the wires run to your front bumper. All you’ll need to do then is code it using VCDS/OBD11.

Eurocar Upgrades is more expensive. They will buy the parts from overseas sellers and put 30% on them. If you want it now and save hassles dealing with overseas sellers (including getting charged GST when it comes in) then buy it from Eurocar Upgrades.

Otherwise they do come up from time to time second-hand but getting one with an airbag can be a bit tricky. Some get pictured with it but it’s only a cover and not a functional airbag. Air freight on airbags is problematic as they really should go by sea/road. Also make sure it has the right buttons as there’s a difference between the ACC and standard cruise wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 16-01-2020 at 06:17 AM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Nitin: What an excellent question - thanks for asking it !!

As OPs have indicated, the light switch in your picture already includes a fog light facility - which is a very good thing if you also want to add front fogs.

To explain why it's a good thing, here's my guess regarding how the rotary-light-switch (it's called a "LDS") is wired on a mk7:

So remembering again that the picture above isn't an official VW schematic, the part of the wiring diagram to note is the set-up on pin#5 on the LDS. Notice that there is only 1 x wire for the "fog light position" (not 2 x wires for each of the front and rear fog-light functions as you may have expected).

I've dismantled one of these switches and it appears that there is a small electronic circuit embedded in the device which is dedicated specifically for the front/rear fog lights - thus allowing only one wire for both functions.

I've also looked at the waveform trace on pin #5 of the LDS in an attempt to ascertain what's happening - it's like this:

As you can see (and perhaps not surprisingly), the output on pin#5 varies depending on the pull-out position of the switch center. I suspect that the mating pin on the module "J519" in my wiring diagram is able to decode this signal and thereby decide which of the front, or back fog lights to switch-on.

So - back to your question: given that you already have the rear fog-light function, I suspect that no additional wiring will be needed - for the new LDS. You could check this by confirming that there are actually 9 x wires in the loom that runs to the connector on the rear of your existing LDS. Removing the LDS itself is very easy: simply push-in the switch center then turn the knob to the right and then pull-out the entire LDS.

You will need to tell the BCM (Body Control Module @ address hex09- which is also called "J519" in my picture above) that you have installed a new LDS - this is easily done via long coding if you have an older model mk7. Or if you have a recent model mk7, then the software switch to tell the BCM that you have installed a new LDS with front fog light function is in adaptation channels - but again, very easy to enable.

You will also need to tell the BCM that you have installed new front fog lights. This is done by enabling the 2 x Leuchte-sets that control each of the left and right side lamps. Not sure if you are familiar with "Leuchte-sets", but they are a bunch of 19 x adaptation channels that determine how each of the car's external lamps operate (there's 1 x Leuchte-set for each lamp). Your mk7 has 35 x Leuchte-sets - so 665 x adaptation channels in total!! But don't be put-off by this - Leuchte-sets aren't that difficult to program!!

Finally, you will of course need to install new wiring from the new lamps to the BCM like this:

The crucial aspect of this phase of the project is to make sure that your existing BCM has the pins physically populated on Socket B as specified in the picture.

Before you buy any parts, I suggest that you confirm that the 2 x pins in my picture are actually installed on your current BCM - because replacing the BCM is not a trivial exercise.

Don

PS: ... and I tend to agree with tigger83 (and not because he/she? is a "Super moderator"): you can spend an amount approaching the annual budget of a small African nation when buying the LDS! My experience has been that paying more doesn't equate to buying better!!
    Last edited by DV52; 16-01-2020 at 11:33 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi tigger73 and DV52,

Thanks so much for the detailed explanation! Quite useful.

1. Is there any way to find out if my BCM has the required pins without opening/removing it? I dont think I can do that myself hence asking.
    2. If my LDS has the capability for the front fogs, what is the difference in the switch shown?
    3. The fog lamp kit I purchased has the two wires, I guess they are for pin 45 & 5 and a third red wire, which I guess should be for the switch (LDS)
    4. Any reliable online store from where I can buy VW parts? Looking to purchase the R-Line steering.
    5. I've noticed lights from Supernova. With those lights, do we have to replace the entire light unit if the indicator LEDs become faulty (front or rear)?

Once again, thanks so much for the detailed response!

regards,

Nitin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parts Related Questions-s-l1600-jpg  
    Last edited by nibose; 16-01-2020 at 11:04 PM.

One more questions, my car has the steering as shown, is there a similar model with paddles? That may work out much cost effective for me! . I guess the tiguan or toureg comes with a similar wheel with paddles, was wondering if there would be any pin incompatibility.Parts Related Questions-screen-shot-2020-01-16-21-31-51-jpg

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by nibose View Post
    1. Is there any way to find out if my BCM has the required pins without opening/removing it? I dont think I can do that myself hence asking.
    I guess that you could get the part number of the BCM from your car (perhaps using a diagnostic device like VCDS, or OBD11)- then go to your friendly stealer - and ask their spare parts division if the BCM has front fog light capabilities.

But I suspect that you may have a bigger problem with this question: if you aren't confident that you can access the BCM connectors, yourself - then with the greatest respect, I suggest that the DIY aspect of this project might not be possible! I say this because the new wires from the new front fog lights will need to be terminated at these same BCM sockets! So the project can't be completed without access to this part of car - alas

2. If my LDS has the capability for the front fogs, what is the difference in the switch shown?
    The "switch shown" has a second pull-out position for the front fogs. Your LDS has only one pull-out position: its for the rear fogs. The sole "capability for the front fogs" in your current LDS is only in the fact that it already has the wire fitted for the new function - nothing else.

3. The fog lamp kit I purchased has the two wires, I guess they are for pin 45 & 5 and a third red wire, which I guess should be for the switch (LDS)
    hmm...... I have no idea why your new fog lamp kit has a "third red wire". Perhaps its a +12V wire to power an electronic circuit in the fitting - this is a totally uninformed guess. This is the problem with third party products that claim to be OEM, but are not. The factory fitted front fogs have 2 x wires only as shown in my first post.

And.. no, the "third red wire" can't "be for the switch". The BCM on a mk7 uses an entirely different principle for switching lamps: the ON/OFF switching process for lamps is entirely separate from the power supply for the lamps - that's why the LDS wires go to the "input" pins on the BCM and the power for the lamps come from the "output" pins on the BCM.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 17-01-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    then go to your friendly stealer -
    What is a stealer? Sorry, not conversant with this term. .

The "switch shown" has a second pull-out position for the front fogs. Your LDS has only one pull-out position: its for the rear fogs. The sole "capability for the front fogs" in your current LDS is only in the fact that it already has the wire fitted for the new function - nothing else.
    So the bottom, can I use my existing switch (LDS) or need to purchase the one shown in the second pic?

Any thoughts on the steering wheel? Wanted to know if there's a similar model with paddles, this would work out cheaper for me as I can reuse the existing air bag.

I am getting this done from a workshop that does this sort of activity, non OEM though, so want to get everything ready so that the installation does not hit any roadblock.

Users Country Flag
    ^^^ stealer=euphemism for dealer - the place where you pay an exorbitant price for EVERYTHING!!
    YES - you "need to purchase the one shown in the second pic"
    NO - thoughts on the steering wheel. I had understood that adding paddles didn't require changing the steering wheel in your pic - check with the stealer to confirm.
    Workshop doing retrofit? Then why concern yourself with these detailed questions? If it's a turn-key service (i.e. you give them your car and the new bits, and $s - they give you back the car complete with new fogs working), it's their problem (that's why you pay them)!

Don

^^^ stealer=euphemism for dealer - the place where you pay an exorbitant price for EVERYTHING!!Don
    This is a new term to me, will add this to my dictionary.

YES - you "need to purchase the one shown in the second pic"
    Don
    Noted, will order one.

NO - thoughts on the steering wheel. I had understood that adding paddles didn't require changing the steering wheel in your pic - check with the stealer to confirm.
    Don
    The existing steering wheel does not come with paddle shifters. Please note I'm not referring to the paddle shifters extensions. Is it possibly to purchase the paddle shifters and fit them to the existing steering? That will be news to me.

The steering shown in the second picture comes from Golf Altrack or Tiguan, which comes with Paddle shifters by default. This would save lots of money for me as I can reuse my airbag. I did see Golf Altrack on Ebay but the link tells me its not compatible with the standard Golf, which left me wondering.

Workshop doing retrofit? Then why concern yourself with these detailed questions? If it's a turn-key service (i.e. you give them your car and the new bits, and $s - they give you back the car complete with new fogs working), it's their problem (that's why you pay them)!
    Don
    I always prefer to understand what needs to be done by myself and make sure the workshop understands the same. Else they may end up opening my car only to tell me the BCM or switch is/are not compatible and then have to order them. This would mean paying them almost twice.