Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please - Stage 1 Octavia RS or Golf R

Opinions please - Stage 1 Octavia RS or Golf R

Looking for opinions please or feedback from anyone else that may have been in a similar position;

I currently have a MY17 162TSI Mk3 Octavia RS wagon which I've owned since new and its been a great car. It is however coming to the end of its factory warranty and not quite as fast as I'd like, so I've been toying up the idea of grabbing a stage 1 tune for bit of a power upgrade, but am concerned that the whole FWD scenario may blunt any real world benefits (can be hard to get the power down as it is!)

I'm also fortunate enough to own a Superb Sportline 206TSI as my business vehicle, and whilst I enjoy the extra power and AWD grip, it pales in comparison to the Octavias general handling ability and directness (even with DCC in sport mode). Being a business vehicle and still under warranty, I also don't have the luxury of modding this vehicle (unless I can sneak in a new sway bar)

As such I'm currently tossing up whether to grab a stage 1 tune for the Octavia (~$1k) or potentially trade it on a ~MY18 Golf R (~20k changeover) - neither option is all that financially sensible, but since when are enthusiast vehicles ever sensible

My thoughts thus far;

Stage 1 for Octavia

Pro's

Known quantity and history (owned since new)
    Small outlay (comparatively)
    Lighter (comparatively)

Con's

Still FWD
    Probably less/same power than stock Golf R even with Stage 1
    Older

Golf R

Pro's

AWD goodness
    Handling probably just as good as Octavia (?)
    Stock power is great

Con's

Unknown quantity of 2nd hand vehicle
    Costlier option
    Heavier and handling slightly blunted (?)

Users Country Flag
    ur relying on someone in this forum to give you their opinion to make up your mind on spending 20k over 1k for some thrills ?

looks like u have all the pros and cons weighed up yourself why dont you get a jb4 and some small mods on your octavia for less than 1k im sure ull enjoy it the same

Users Country Flag
    After having owned both a Golf R and GTI, personally I think the front wheel drive platform is the more enjoyable option. Although the R is certainly superior in grip from a standstill, the extra weight can be felt and it dulls the overall enjoyment in my opinion.

The front wheel drive platform is more nimble, noticeably lighter and cheaper to maintain + less to go wrong.

Im sure plenty of Golf R owners will disagree with my comments, but that's my opinion.

Presumably you bought an Octavia wagon for the space/practicality. The Golf R will not have that. Do you still need that space?

If you decide to tune the Octy vRS, then consider the 034 Motorsport tune which is currently on sale. You need to purchase the tune and also the end user flashing kit which allows you to tune the car yourself at home (easy to do). Another company who offers a very similar product is Integrated Engineering which is what I have on my car. Both products are similarly priced, but with the 034 being on sale at the moment makes it the slightly cheaper option.

034 - Skoda Octavia RS162 TSI Tuning - Stage 1 & 2 ECU Tunes
    – VAGPARTS Australia

034 Dynamic+ End User Flashing Kit - ECU & DSG - OBD2 TUNING KIT
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 20-04-2022 at 12:35 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    After having owned both a Golf R and GTI, personally I think the front wheel drive platform is the more enjoyable option. Although the R is certainly superior in grip from a standstill, the extra weight can be felt and it dulls the overall enjoyment in my opinion.

The front wheel drive platform is more nimble, noticeably lighter and cheaper to maintain + less to go wrong.

Im sure plenty of Golf R owners will disagree with my comments, but that's my opinion.

Presumably you bought an Octavia wagon for the space/practicality. The Golf R will not have that. Do you still need that space?

If you decide to tune the Octy vRS, then consider the 034 Motorsport tune which is currently on sale. You need to purchase the tune and also the end user flashing kit which allows you to tune the car yourself at home (easy to do). Another company who offers a very similar product is Integrated Engineering which is what I have on my car. Both products are similarly priced, but with the 034 being on sale at the moment makes it the slightly cheaper option.

034 - Volkswagen Golf GTI MK7 Tuning (162 kW) - Stage 1 & 2 ECU Tunes
    – VAGPARTS Australia

034 Dynamic+ End User Flashing Kit - ECU & DSG - OBD2 TUNING KIT
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    Thanks very much for your reply.

I can definitely feel the extra weight in the Superb and it is much less fun to chuck around, though I'm not sure how much of that is to do with the less focused suspension and how much of that would translate into a Golf R with less size/weight comparatively. Appreciate your input and experience here.

I did originally buy the Octavia for its practically/space over the GTI, however now have the work vehicle which is a Superb Wagon so that's less of an issue these days.

Will look into those tunes, thanks.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ccpl View Post
    Thanks very much for your reply.

I can definitely feel the extra weight in the Superb and it is much less fun to chuck around, though I'm not sure how much of that is to do with the less focused suspension and how much of that would translate into a Golf R with less size/weight comparatively. Appreciate your input and experience here.

I did originally buy the Octavia for its practically/space over the GTI, however now have the work vehicle which is a Superb Wagon so that's less of an issue these days.

Will look into those tunes, thanks.
    Gotcha. Ok well the Suberb will have ample space then. The Superb is a decent chunk heavier (around 200kg) than the Golf R so although it has the same engine and drivetrain, the weight and size difference make for a much different feeling car.

The Mk7 R in standard form is nothing special in terms of speed, but a basic ECU tune makes it go from a quickish car to a fast car. So if you decide to get one, you have to put a stage 1 ECU tune on it.

Also note that I updated one of the links in my previous post after I found a Skoda specific link for the ECU tune.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I have a 2008 Mk2 vRS wagon and a 2017 R wagon. They have a totally different feel, but I like them both.

I prefer the planted feel and traction of the R over the more "lively" feel of the Octy. It is nice to just put your foot down and go in the R, particularly when turning onto a wet 80kmh road with traffic bearing down on you; in the Octy you need a much bigger gap in case you get the annoying FWD wheelspin (and yes, I can confirm a tune only makes that issue worse, and good tyres won't help much).

My suggestion is to take an R for an extended test drive in different conditions, and see whether you like it or not. Some people find the steady rock-solid feel of the R a bit bland and boring. Only you can decide what you prefer.

BTW a set of Koni FSD shocks (the regular Golf version, not the GTI ones) fitted to an Octy vRS makes the low speed ride quality much better, but firms up around 80kmh on Canberra's mostly fairly smooth roads
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    I have a 2008 Mk2 vRS wagon and a 2017 R wagon. They have a totally different feel, but I like them both.

I prefer the planted feel and traction of the R over the more "lively" feel of the Octy. It is nice to just put your foot down and go in the R, particularly when turning onto a wet 80kmh road with traffic bearing down on you; in the Octy you need a much bigger gap in case you get the annoying FWD wheelspin (and yes, I can confirm a tune only makes that issue worse, and good tyres won't help much).

My suggestion is to take an R for an extended test drive in different conditions, and see whether you like it or not. Some people find the steady rock-solid feel of the R a bit bland and boring. Only you can decide what you prefer.

BTW a set of Koni FSD shocks (the regular Golf version, not the GTI ones) fitted to an Octy vRS makes the low speed ride quality much better, but firms up around 80kmh on Canberra's mostly fairly smooth roads

its better to compare an R to a mk7 GTI with his 17' RS instead of a 08 RS.. very different cars by now

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    its better to compare an R to a mk7 GTI with his 17' RS instead of a 08 RS.. very different cars by now
    True, but the FWD vs AWD thing is still a very similar issue. Note that the OP already has an MY17 vRS so he is very knowledgeable about the vRS, that's why I suggested he take an R for a drive so he can properly compare the two cars, and make his decision based on HIS preferences.

I don't know why you are suggesting he look at a GTI, he was asking about moving from a vRS to a Golf R, not a GTI.
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 22-04-2022 at 08:45 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Thanks heaps for the replies everyone. I'm still on the fence and am probably currently leaning to just starting with a Stage 1 for the Octy and see how that goes, and if the traction issues become too much maybe then heading down the Golf R route.

Anyone have any feedback around the 034 tune that Lucas_R mentioned above?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    True, but the FWD vs AWD thing is still a very similar issue. Note that the OP already has an MY17 vRS so he is very knowledgeable about the vRS, that's why I suggested he take an R for a drive so he can properly compare the two cars, and make his decision based on HIS preferences.

I don't know why you are suggesting he look at a GTI, he was asking about moving from a vRS to a Golf R, not a GTI.
    i said in this case its better to be comparing an R to a mk7 GTI ... gti is hatch and vrs is small wagon with the same gear... its a comparison that im sure plenty of people on here can give some feedback about to give the guy a better idea. as its more similar or basically the same as a my17 VR oct ...

What I dont understand is why ur comparing a my17 VR to a 08 VR for performance and feel which are different by now and would sway the OP to drop 20k extra for something that isnt much different than what he already has.

All in All there is only so much u can do on public streets to get the full enjoyment out of 4WD.. and if you feel the need to win the traffic light dragstrip.. get a tesla.... and i highly doubt ur going out to empty country roads on the regular for spirited driving... alot of people say FWD with some power is more fun to drive once u got it down as its lighter and has a bit more feel but each to their own... if i was buying a car again and wanted to save some cash would have no problem with FWD on the same platform for a daily driver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast