Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying Mk7 GTI/R vs 7.5 110tsi

Advice on buying Mk7 GTI/R vs 7.5 110tsi

I was hoping to get some advice on buying a 2016-2017 GTI or R for around 30K vs a 2018 110tsi for 20K. I would be looking for <100k km, preferably <80k.

A deciding factor for me is that I'll likely be moving overseas in 1 to 1.5 years, so resell is very important. From watching carsales the last few weeks it looks like the turnover on 110tsi's is faster, and easier to drop a bit below the narrow price range to sell.

Obviously I would prefer an R, but the higher fuel efficiency and inclusion of features like keyless start/folding mirrors on a highline are nice for the price. I won't be commuting daily with it, mostly a combination of short and long weekends away and shopping.

Also, what are the current thoughts about the Mk7.5 TSI DSG? I.e. if getting it checked by a mechanic now, do I need to worry about it failing within the next year? Are we looking at ~10% failure rate on a 100k km car, or more like 50%?

Users Country Flag
    I think the 110TSI would appeal to a broader customer base when time to resell comes, as not everyone wants a "sporty car" like the GTI or R and the lower price point would also be appealing to buyers. As you are already aware, the DSG transmissions on the lower spec Golf's is their achilles heel. Having your mechanic check the transmission is likely to be a waste of time and money as they wont be able to know how worn out the clutches already are and the condition of the oil or the mechatronics. It could fail 2 days after you buy it, or you might be lucky and it will run for 2 years without an issue. Personally I would avoid this transmission (especially if buying 2nd hand) as you may well be buying someone elses problem that they were sick of dealing with (eg they sold the car because of transmission issues which we see on this forum all the time).

But the GTI's and R's still appeal to a fairly wide audience, and being in Sydney you shouldnt have much trouble moving it on to a new owner when the time comes. I wish you were around 6 months ago when I had to sell my immaculate Mk7 GTI....its probably wrapped around a pole in South Sydney by now

The GTI's and R's are not only more enjoyable to drive and own in general, but they are more robust and reliable compared to the lower spec Golf's. So with that being said, I would recommend you find a nice GTI for between $25-30k.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    If you were buying to have a MK7.5 Golf and not break the bank (in purchase and running costs) AND was looking for a manual, I'd say the 110TSI. It's quick enough, much lighter on fuel and a lot cheaper to insure.

If you are set on a DSG, go with a GTI as per Lucas' suggestion above. The DSG in the GTI is much more robust and will likely last quite a while, whereas the DSG in the 110 will self-destruct at some point guaranteed. Running costs will be higher, but so will the fun factor.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Thanks for the advice, much as expected!

To complicate things further, I'm now considering a 2019 polo GTI. It would be similar price to a MK7 golf with far lower milage and some newer features (and still retaining a wet dsg). Yes, it would be sad to give up on the golf dream, but after moving overseas I could splurge on an R and appreciate it all the better.

My main concern is still resell so please let me know if I'm going down the wrong route!

Users Country Flag
    Polo GTI is a good car (essentially same engine as the Golf) but the issue is the DSG gearbox. Its still the same problematic gearbox as used in the lower spec Golf's.

So my advice would be to avoid the Polo GTI if you want a DSG transmission. If you are happy to get a manual transmission, then the Polo GTI is definitely a car to consider.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I was under the impression that the polo GTI AW line from 2018 onwards used the wet 6 speed DSG, as opposed to the dry 7 speed in the previous gen 6R.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    I was under the impression that the polo GTI AW line from 2018 onwards used the wet 6 speed DSG, as opposed to the dry 7 speed in the previous gen 6R.
    Correct the AW GTI uses the wet 6 speed DSG (DQ250), which is the same as the MK7 (not Mk7.5) Golf GTI. It should last quite a while. Remember that all DSGs, even the wet clutches, will need clutch pack replacements at some point.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabby View Post
    Looking into it more, it would seem that the newer Polo GTI does indeed have the 6 speed wet clutch DSG (DQ250), which was no doubt necessary to handle the extra power and torque of the new 2.0L turbo engine. I know the older Polo GTI's (2011-2017) had the crappy 7 speed so I was under the impression they still used that gearbox.

So with that being the case, yes the 2018+ Polo GTI with DSG would be worth consideraing. The 6 speed DSG is a really good and generally very reliable/robust unit.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

From what I understand every engine 132kw and above gets a wet clutch DSG, below that is dry.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Update - the ppsr for the polo I was considering came back dodgy. At the same time I viewed a 2016 Golf R. Waaay better to drive, so I went with that and should be picking it up tomorrow!

In case anyone is interested I'm paying $29,000 for good condition car @ 80k km from a dealer.

Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast