Support VWWC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please - Stage 1 Octavia RS or Golf R

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ccpl View Post
    Thanks heaps for the replies everyone. I'm still on the fence and am probably currently leaning to just starting with a Stage 1 for the Octy and see how that goes, and if the traction issues become too much maybe then heading down the Golf R route.

Anyone have any feedback around the 034 tune that Lucas_R mentioned above?
    instead of 034 tune id suggest.

buy urself a 2nd hand JB4 box on gumtree for few hundred bucks, get a sillicon intake hose and turbo inlet elbow on ebay and u have ur stage 1+ for $500.. happy times

Users Country Flag
    after looking at the specs and prices for discounted 034 tunes you should be looking at this.

Stage 2 98:
    320 HP / 482 Nm
    Crackle Map: FREE with stage 2

if your considering spending good money ($1500+) on a flash ECU/TCU tune and cable you may aswell consider adding a DP and ebay IC for $1000 extra and get stage 2 ECU flash with crackle tune ... or just save yourself some money.. JB4 lets u get stage 1+ / stage 2 results for fraction of the flash price with the same parts.. ebay intercoolers for $500ish are as good as the $1000 - $2000 ICs and has been proven by many people now over the years on this platform... DP should be $300 - $500 if you want the extra 15hp and crackle.

If your only considering a simple stage 1 flash its going to feel like a waste of money pretty quickly after you do it.. JB4 takes about 15 - 20 minutes of plugging and is pretty easy to do for a few plugs and make sure its good on the laptop.... performance wise has room for improvement depending the parts u install (DP, IC, is38 turbo e.t.c) and you can adjust your jb4 maps with your cable and laptop or phone(dongle needed) and has heaps of users and info online if you ever need help with something... If you buy some accessories from the BMS website im sure george BMS can sort you a custom tune as hes a very helpful guy to deal with.

Personally, I was considering getting a UNITRONIC self install flash $900-$1000 ECU + $800 DSG + $300 cable. = $2000+ Stage 1+ ?.. thought its a bit ridiculous for what it was and i havent even gotten to the extra bits yet..

then looked at a custom dyno ECU/DSG tune for $1500 but needed to drive to melbourne..... time, travelling, fuel e.t.c looking at again $2k+ all up

instead i decided on my pennypincher CCP roadrunner stage 1+ performance pack.

consists of a preloved basic JB4 + data cable for $250, upgraded spark plugs $80 , rs3 coil packs $100 , ebay sillicone intake hose $50, ebay turbo inlet elbow $50, alum dogbone insert & alum pendulum mount $90............. and the performance increase during spirited driving is beefier with more torque / continues to pull at the top end.... its a good improvment over stock but after a while... not exactly mind blowing tbh and glad i didnt spend $1000 - $2000 on flash tunes alone... but definately worth doing, more fun than stock and should have been like this from factory ...

also keep in mind alot of the performance improvements cant be enjoyed at all times and around every corner especially in traffic or the city because you really need to be on it to feel the improvements.. simply not possible with daily commuting / traffic .. more for a good track day and back to normal life .... but general driveability / throttle response / enjoyment during commuting is better and obviously small squirts or an open road is fun and all up improves what the mqb is capable of.as its restricted from factory... can imagine it would liven up your skoda gti wagon considerably for you to like it and improved drivability on the freeway while ur already rolling.

if you haggle these guys on ebay for a better price on an IC which is possible (did that myself).. then its worth installing the IC (easy home job) if your going with tuning, i imagine your IC is pretty lousy as the standard R ic is not so good and GTI much worse. and after some spirited driving or track time will start to heat soak quickly and all your performance will be gone.

Tube&Fin Intercooler Kit For Audi A3/S3 / VW Golf GTI R MK7 EA888 1.8T 2.0T TSI | eBay

thats my opinion

Users Country Flag
    amunra dont forget that the JB1/JB4 has been proven on the dyno to be good bang for buck (especially if purchased 2nd hand) but the gains they provide are about 60-70% of a proper flash tune (eg a MK7 Golf R with a JB4 will get around 205-210kw at the wheels, whereas the same car with a flash tune will have around 230kw at the wheels). A stock Mk7 R will have around 180kw at the wheels, so the JB4 will get you approx 25-30kw whereas a flash tune will get you around 50kw at the wheels gain.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ccpl View Post
    Thanks heaps for the replies everyone. I'm still on the fence and am probably currently leaning to just starting with a Stage 1 for the Octy and see how that goes, and if the traction issues become too much maybe then heading down the Golf R route.

Anyone have any feedback around the 034 tune that Lucas_R mentioned above?
    If you decide to go with a stage 1 tune (regardless of which brand you choose) then I would highly suggest buying one of the "dog bone inserts" which helps reduce movement in the lower engine mount and therefore reduces wheel spin (and the wheelspin you do still get is nice and smooth and doesnt shake the hell out of the car).

You will need to check your car as to which version you require (there are 2x types depending on the shape of your factory fitted lower engine mount - refer to the photos).

034 Billet Aluminium Dogbone Mount Insert - MQB MK7 GTI/R/S3/RS3/TT/TTS
    – VAGPARTS Australia

034 Motorsport Billet Aluminum MQB Dogbone Mount Insert, Mk7 GTI/R/S3/RS3/TT/TTRS
    – VAGPARTS Australia
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    If you decide to go with a stage 1 tune (regardless of which brand you choose) then I would highly suggest buying one of the "dog bone inserts" which helps reduce movement in the lower engine mount and therefore reduces wheel spin (and the wheelspin you do still get is nice and smooth and doesnt shake the hell out of the car).

You will need to check your car as to which version you require (there are 2x types depending on the shape of your factory fitted lower engine mount - refer to the photos).

034 Billet Aluminium Dogbone Mount Insert - MQB MK7 GTI/R/S3/RS3/TT/TTS
    – VAGPARTS Australia

034 Motorsport Billet Aluminum MQB Dogbone Mount Insert, Mk7 GTI/R/S3/RS3/TT/TTRS
    – VAGPARTS Australia

yeh i think the 0 - 100 and drag times are nearly identical though, i think with custom tuning you can crank out more hp but it wont be much.

you can get the same dogbone inserts on ebay for $30

Users Country Flag
    u decide on anything? howdit go

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    i said in this case its better to be comparing an R to a mk7 GTI ... gti is hatch and vrs is small wagon with the same gear... its a comparison that im sure plenty of people on here can give some feedback about to give the guy a better idea. as its more similar or basically the same as a my17 VR oct ...
    But as I said earlier, the OP already owns a VRs so is very familiar with how it drives. The options he is considering are either keeping his existing car (a FWD Octy VRs), or trading it in for an AWD Golf R. A GTI is not an option he is considering, so there is absolutely no point whatsoever in driving a GTI, he is not going to buy one whichever way he goes. I don't understand why you are pushing for comparing the GTI.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    But as I said earlier, the OP already owns a VRs so is very familiar with how it drives. The options he is considering are either keeping his existing car (a FWD Octy VRs), or trading it in for an AWD Golf R. A GTI is not an option he is considering, so there is absolutely no point whatsoever in driving a GTI, he is not going to buy one whichever way he goes. I don't understand why you are pushing for comparing the GTI.
    big greg with the big ACT press

his vrs is probably the same as a similar year model gti... does it have an LSD aswell ? its definately not the same as ur what.. 15 yr old car now?

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    big greg with the big ACT press

his vrs is probably the same as a similar year model gti... does it have an LSD aswell ? its definately not the same as ur what.. 15 yr old car now?
    I don't know why you are refusing to read and understand what I said, but if that's the limit of your comprehension and that's the best you can do then I guess that's OK.

You do you, I'll continue to do me and try to help people with comments that are actually relevant & useful ....
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 05-06-2022 at 09:54 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    I don't know why you are refusing to read and understand what I said, but if that's the limit of your comprehension and that's the best you can do then I guess that's OK.

You do you, I'll continue to do me and try to help people with comments that are actually relevant & useful ....
    refusing to read what.. why dont u Re-Read what you wrote .. ur comparing how ur 15 yearold car drives to a newish golf R ,, and saying thats how his new VRS will feel too........ im telling him to compare the experience to others who have GOLF GTIs of the same year as they are the basically the same car..

Makes perfect sense... but i see you are from ACT my friend.. The land where everyone is The Most Right in the world about every topic in existance and if someone has a different way of seeing something to ACT they are all of a sudden ' something'

I actually asked the OP how its going and uve swung right back in here doing ur little cry.

its gold

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast