Support VWWC

Thread: Replacement HID Globes

Replacement HID Globes

One of the HID globes has blown in my Mk7 R and I need to replace it (drivers side). I couldn't find anything in a thread.

Any recommendations on where to source one?

Users Country Flag
    iilumo have a good range (Philips or Osram if you want an OEM quality replacement), or their own "Nova" brand if you want a good quality aftermarket bulb.

Replace both bulbs and keep your existing working bulb as a spare.

NOVA (D SERIES) : HID / XENON BULBS – iilumo

Blinkwork Auto is another option: Blingwork Automotive Lighting Australia

Both shops are in South East Melbourne.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-11-2023 at 01:16 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Kevie: Hi - It's been a very long time since I was in Bright-town (fly-fishing heaven )!!

Before you throw your hard-earned dollars at a new set of HID bulbs and before removing various bits on the car - are you sure that the driver-side lamp is blown?

With absolutely no offense intended - the fact that the lamp fails to illuminate does not necessarily mean that the lamp itself is faulty (albeit it could be the lamp). Other possible reasons could be the ballast, the fuse, headlight fitting earth, or wiring/connectors.

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

I thought the ballast and globe were an integrated unit? The car is 7 years old, not sure how long they usually last, but it started flickering for a few days and now if you look it's like one of those plasma balls with a very weak spark. There is a warning light on the dash to say it has failed. Not sure how to verify anything without pulling it all apart anyway and if doing that it makes sense to have a globe available if needed.

I ended up ordering an Osram globe on eBay for $90 delivered.