Thread: MK7 Sunroof Surround Cracked

Users Country Flag

MK7 Sunroof Surround Cracked

Hi,

Unfortunately today I noticed a small crack starting to develop in the plastic surrounding the sunroof on my 2016 GTI 40 Years - disappointing at only 13,000kms. As far as I can tell this is a very common issue on the MK7s and the repair is expensive and invasive. Thought it could be good to see what people's experiences have been on here:

1. Does the crack cause any leaks into the cabin?
    2. If a repair was undertaken does it permanently fix the issue, or does it just happen again due to poor design?

Thanks,
    Michael
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Wow i thought mine was low kms at 22,000 .
    Take it up with VW seems crazy with such low kms .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

Users Country Flag
    My 2015 model Mk7 GTI is fine @ 61,000km. No cracking or damage (touch wood) to the sunroof surround. I wonder if its just bad luck or if it has anything to do with weather (eg being parked outside in the hot sun all day). My GTI is garaged day and night.

Im on a couple of GTI facebook pages and this same issue does come up a bit - its not super common but it does happen.

Given how few km's you have driven your car I would try to get some sort of goodwill repair from VW. Even if they pay some of it or part of the labour for instance.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the replies. Have never had to do something like this and I am not the first owner of the car, so am I best to go through a dealer or try to contact VW Australia directly?

Have just found this on another forum, it seems VW are now aware of the issue (since 2021 or so) and have developed an updated part, which should prevent it occurring.

"VW acknowledge this is a problem and will change the surround, as a bulletin was circulated by VW on 19th February 2021.
    The problem has been the way the sealant has been applied, not fully constraining the surround, so with vibration, road shocks, torsion of chassis and thermal expansion the crack forms.
    When it been replaced with the VW stated sealant will fully constrain any movement in the surrounding metalwork will be absorbed in the sealant, therefore distributing any stresses and strains evenly, therefore not forcing any cracks.
    This is not down to 19" wheels, uneven jacking or hard acceleration, just sealant issue
    Problem solved and now accepted by VW."
    Last edited by MEL744; 15-03-2023 at 04:53 AM.

Users Country Flag

Perhaps try a dealer first, and if no luck, go to VW Australia. Given there seems to be a bulletin for this problem - you shouldnt have any issues getting them to acknowledge its a manufacturing fault and not due to neglect etc.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler