Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Users Country Flag

Hey guys,

First post, about to buy my first car, looking to buy a MK7 7sp TSI. I've tried reading through most of this thread, as far as I understand, apparently most of the dry clutch issues were for the 7sp in the MK6, but the DSG issues are still prevalent with the MK7 just not as much as the MK6?
    Is there a verdict on which model year onwards is more safer for the MK7 in the TSI auto?

Basically tossing up between a MK7 TSI or a MK6 GTD, I'd rather a MK7 TSI (the 118TSI) but if it's too risky then I'll keep looking for a nice MK6 GTD.

Users Country Flag
    We had a MK6 118TSI and got rid of it and now have a MK6 GTI (6sp DSG) and havent looked back, If it was me, I would take the MK6 GTD .. I wouldnt own a 7sp DSG again

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Wartai View Post
    .. I wouldnt own a 7sp DSG again
    ".. I wouldn't own a [DQ200] 7sp DSG again."

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

+1
    Mk6 GTD

Users Country Flag
    Driving a 7.5 TSI 7 speed. No issue. Smooth, if not smoother than the 6 speeder I had in the S3 and GTI.
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP

Users Country Flag
    Like the user above, looking to buy a first car (Golf) but I'm not sold on the DSG issues and they are putting me off, is this a widespread issue or simply have people been unlucky? Does the problem persist and is unfixable, i.e. the DSG is just screwed for the lifetime of the car and has the MK7.5 fixed all these issues?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by bgroper View Post
    +1
    Mk6 GTD
    +2
    VW will fix under warranty but what then?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by li_dawg View Post
    Like the user above, looking to buy a first car (Golf) but I'm not sold on the DSG issues and they are putting me off, is this a widespread issue or simply have people been unlucky? Does the problem persist and is unfixable, i.e. the DSG is just screwed for the lifetime of the car and has the MK7.5 fixed all these issues?
    Wet clutch units are pretty billet proof. New 7 speed DQ381 is arguably near perfect. Dry clutch DQ200 7 speeds are more problematic. Trouble is the wet clutch units are on the high end sports versions with Golf R motor.

Good argument with the Minister for War and Finance as to why you “need” a Golf R

Users Country Flag
    the DQ200 recall remedial work was around high humidity affecting the electronics connectors contained within the mechatronics unit. The affects included loss of transmitted engine power and judder etc.

I dont believe current units are problematic.

It's a bit like the scare mongering that went on when the early 1.4 engines had issues and lots of people started to comment the 1.4 would be scrapped. It wasnt, but it was enhanced with modifications (as all manufacturers do on a continual basis), and now is rock solid.

If your buying new, you have peace of mind.
    MY18 GOLF 110TSI I HIGHLINE I Indium I Panoramic Sunroof I DAP I IP
    MY18 TIGUAN 162TSI I R-LINE I Ruby I DAP I IP

Users Country Flag

2014 Golf Mk7 90 TSI with problems in 1st and 2nd gear - DQ200. It's weird - half throttle results in walking pace until it gets to 3rd gear. 70k kms. Spoke with VW Australia and they advised to take it to local VW dealer for diagnosis. Comments that it would be covered if 'a manufacturing fault' but that there is no 5 year warranty on drivetrain. Diagnosis is $152/hr.

Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast