Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

That's because you are, effectively, shifting a manual car.

You'll probably get used to each other over the next few weeks, but racing changes from first to second will most likely always be a bit rough.

You're driving a powerful car, and WOT in first will be close to, or on many surfaces even past, the limits of adhesion (the jerk is likely to be wheel-hop.)

Flat-out take-offs are hard on your wallet, too.

It's not a CVT
    RS
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post
    That's because you are, effectively, shifting a manual car.

You'll probably get used to each other over the next few weeks, but racing changes from first to second will most likely always be a bit rough.

You're driving a powerful car, and WOT in first will be close to, or on many surfaces even past, the limits of adhesion (the jerk is likely to be wheel-hop.)

Flat-out take-offs are hard on your wallet, too.

I am sorry, probably a "stall" between gears will be a better description of my situation. i do not think it's the wheelhop, it's more likely the transmission shifting under high rpm causing the stalling. And you are right, it is a manual gearbox with dual clutch, so i suppose it is normal for me to feel the stalling when racing. all i'm worrying about is the DSG, obliviously it is more fragile than ordinary manual gearbox and $MUCH$ more expensive to fix once out of warranty. probably i should do less launching and all that

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    It's not a CVT
    hah, yes, i do realize that. actually i have never drove a CVT before, picked manual without second thought when subaru salesman offering a testdrive on a wrx. DSG is a damn brilliant box, it is the closest i can find to a manual without extra efforts to my left foot.

Well, your description is describing more of a hesitation then ? I am guessing there is no hesitation in D (auto mode) when you're giving it ?

My VRS 6 speed DSG (dq250) definitely doesn't do that in manual mode when shifting with the the gear shirt or the paddles.

Maybe your DSG is learning your driving habits - this I am just guessing, since I was not the first owner of my car.

BTW, you don't ever want to drive a CVT ...... haha.
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    lcy2004vip, I have a DSG MK7 MY16 Golf R with 6K on the clock (and never launch controlled) and I think I know what you are talking about.

This is what it feels and sounds like with my car to me. When in Manual Mode, it usually happens up or down between 1st to 2nd gear (maybe also changing down 3rd to 2nd too). It feels and sounds like if I were driving a manual and dumping the clutch with mis-matched revs. So the car lurches a bit and makes an unfavourable mechanical sound. I don't believe it should do this given it is a computer with 1 billion sensors and should be able to esentially perfectly match the revs, it's almost like it's engaging the clutch too soon, instead of waiting for the right revs.

I don't think this occurs when in D or S.

In the mean time I will need to find a way to replicate the judder consistently and then test on the Dealer R's to see what happens under the same situation.

For those who believe that the car needs to "learn" your behaviour should note that it is a dealers favourite line to pass off DSG issues. The car should never learn something that will result in clutch slipping, clutch dumping, jerking and selecting completely inappropriate gears. What the car will learn is if it knows you're either a lead foot or a feather foot to know how soon it should change or hold gears i.e. It will hold Lower gears for longer for lead foots (more power!!!) and faster changing to higher gears for feather foots (economical).

If anyone is having issues, I know that a clutch re-learn is something that may help and I will probably ask for down the track. The clutch will attempt to understand its own limits/parameters, therefore fully engage clutch/clutch clamping pressure to stop shuddering or in my situation apply the clutch slower or at a more appropriate friction point to stop the harsh shifting shudder.

I just hope in the mean time that is isn't wrecking my DSG clutch plates or anything else.

I am interested to hear any opinions or experiences around this, particularly with the Golf R.

Users Country Flag
    DSG should be seemless if working correctly and you're right about the sports style of driving .......that's just different timing and holding gears.
    A 'dumping the clutch' feeling is a fault signal.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by lcy2004vip View Post
    obliviously it is more fragile than ordinary manual gearbox
    i thought it was actually the opposite!

Users Country Flag
    It's certainly more complex and maybe that's because automatic transmissions are becoming the preferred choice worldwide and this type gives the lowest emissions test figures.
    I think EPAs are the true car designers these days and engineers answer to them.

Quote Originally Posted by sooty View Post
    i thought it was actually the opposite!
    what i mean is normal stick box has much lower fault rate and cheaper to replace. but if you were referring dq250 holds more torque than manual version GTI i agree.

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast