Support VWWC

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Users Country Flag

Thanks, we will!!!! Car is fantastic other than this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
    Does anyone with the 7 speeder noticing any difference in the revs as you modulate the brake pressure?

I had a Skoda 132 for a couple of days. If you didn't press the brake hard enough, when stationary, the clutches would stay engaged. As the pedal was pressed harder the revs would drop from 1000 to 800 when the clutch fully disengaged. It doesn't seem to do it on our 6 speeder, but it made me wonder how many people slip these clutches, unwittingly, at the lights.

My impression was that auto hold was partly invented to fix this issue - auto hold (or stop/ start for that matter) won't kick in unless you push the brake hard enough to disengage the clutch. If you switch off both you can slip all day...
    Was going to post this in the Stop/Start thread however it's probably more relevant here.
    I've noticed this exact same thing with the 6sp DSG in my GTI. If you have a small about of brake applied while stopped it seems like the clutches are still engaged and the engine sounds like its 'laboring'. However if you press the brake pedal firmly (with the Stop/Start turned off) you can here and distinct change in the engine RPM and sound (more of a free-rev sound). Also after doing this and releasing the brake pedal to take off, you can hear/feel a slight rise in engine RPM before the clutch engages, and sometimes if parked on a hill, a slight roll-back.
    I've proven this many times when leaving my house. As I drive out of my garage onto my steep uphill driveway I always stop and wait for the garage door to close. While waiting if I press firmly on the pedal, the car rolls back a bit and the revs rise (like driving a manual) when I take off. If I only use a small amount of pedal pressure, the car just take off like you've been riding the clutch the whole time.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts from a knowledgeable VW mechanic on what effect this has on the clutches.

Regarding the clutch 'shudder', like mentioned previously I have felt a slight shudder/jerk when slowing down to a stop. It occurs at the low end of 2nd gear, just before it changes back to 1st and its a distinct forward 'jerking' motion. This is my first ever car with a DSG box so I just though it was how it's meant to be, and I've adjusted my driving to suit it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCK View Post
    Yep. My 7 speed does this, but now its started to disengage the clutches if held at that rubbing point for more than a few seconds without forward movement.

At which point the car will roll backwards.

But just as you come completely off the brake, the clutches engage to get you going again.
    I had my car roll backwards with adaptive cruse on... car came to a stop at the lights, then went to roll back, then slammed on the brakes.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    I had my car roll backwards with adaptive cruse on... car came to a stop at the lights, then went to roll back, then slammed on the brakes.
    Is this what you mean :

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/foru...d.php?t=101332
    Roll back issues with adaptive cruise control.
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

Users Country Flag
    I bought my golf 90TSI DSG in 2012 March, had the clutch packs replaced at the 15k service in February 2013. It started to shudder again just before the end of 2014 and i decided to contact Werribee VW before the end of my warranty. They booked me in for the next day which was yesterday, long story short clutch packs replaced again at 54,000kms. The car feels much nicer to drive now. Loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by OYE View Post
    I bought my golf 90TSI DSG in 2012 March, had the clutch packs replaced at the 15k service in February 2013. It started to shudder again just before the end of 2014 and i decided to contact Werribee VW before the end of my warranty. They booked me in for the next day which was yesterday, long story short clutch packs replaced again at 54,000kms. The car feels much nicer to drive now. Loving it!
    This sort of story makes me reluctant to hold onto my Golf outside of the warranty period. I love the car but really am disappointed these issues are still occurring (and for some like yourself, recurring!). Fingers crossed you don't have any more problems from here on out!

Users Country Flag
    Girlfriends mother had hers replaced Dec last year, shudder is back again, it's got 35,000km on it. I'd sell the poxy thing and get something Korean !
    7 Speed issues in both the 90 and 118's, 118's motor popping all over the show. So much for build quality.
    MY11 GTI DSG - SII Bluefin, Empire Dump, Custom intake, Front strut brace
    01 Pathfinder -Cat back, SAFC, Intake, Lift and Muddies
    88 HR31 Coupe - lots
    08 FG XR6T - 380hp

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett_J View Post
    Girlfriends mother had hers replaced Dec last year, shudder is back again, it's got 35,000km on it. I'd sell the poxy thing and get something Korean !
    7 Speed issues in both the 90 and 118's, 118's motor popping all over the show. So much for build quality.
    Hyundai has more engine and gearbox failures than any Volkswagen. Don't believe me? Just walk past your local Hyundai dealer, they will defiantly have atleast one iLoad waiting for an engine, atleast 2 I30's waiting on turbo's, and atleast 2 IX35's with gearboxes out being rebuilt.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    Hyundai has more engine and gearbox failures than any Volkswagen. Don't believe me? Just walk past your local Hyundai dealer, they will defiantly have atleast one iLoad waiting for an engine, atleast 2 I30's waiting on turbo's, and atleast 2 IX35's with gearboxes out being rebuilt.
    LOL, Keep the dream alive, VW's - Indestructable !
    MY11 GTI DSG - SII Bluefin, Empire Dump, Custom intake, Front strut brace
    01 Pathfinder -Cat back, SAFC, Intake, Lift and Muddies
    88 HR31 Coupe - lots
    08 FG XR6T - 380hp

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_J View Post
    LOL, Keep the dream alive, VW's - Indestructable !
    Not saying VW is indestructable, just saying Korean is no better.

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast