Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

OK, so I go the Golf back today and all seems to be good.
    Given it didn't start playing up until it had 6500kms under its belt I will keep this thread updated if anything changes.

So job sheet says Removed transmission and replaced clutch assembly.
    Parts listed as VW0AM198140L

All done under warranty and was supplied with a Mk7 TDI Highline (2200kms) while the work was being carried out.
    Not a bad unit that TDI. Engine is a bit noisy but its got some go!
    All in all a happy chappy. Will wait and see

Users Country Flag
    I think the shudder is a comfort issue and doesn't damage anything but that's just a hunch. After reading several threads I've never seen anyone post about failures due to shudder. Usually they had a mechatronic failure due to the synthetic oil thing or the shudder was more persistent through multiple gears rather than just intermittently in gear 2.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by miller0 View Post
    The warranty on our 118 ran out in March 2013... We've had the gearbox recall done, but do suffer from gearbox shudder as mentioned in this thread.

Is the shudder actually damaging to the gearbox/clutch or just an annoyance?

I feel VW won't cover any fix unless we pay as the car is now outside of warranty.
    VW seem pretty good at honouring any gearbox issues on goodwill (outside of warranty) as far as I have heard, especially if you have a good relationship with the dealership and they back you a little.
    MY14 Audi S3 - Misano Red, S-tronic, Performance pack with parade red trim.

Users Country Flag
    My daughter came home after a 400k round trip in her Mk7 yesterday. She said it was idling rough and groaned and shuddered on take off until changing up to 2nd. Once in 2nd gear, all is good. Could this be the start of gearbox woes? Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by winchy View Post
    My daughter came home after a 400k round trip in her Mk7 yesterday. She said it was idling rough and groaned and shuddered on take off until changing up to 2nd. Once in 2nd gear, all is good. Could this be the start of gearbox woes? Any suggestions?
    If there's an issue with the mechatronic or the clutch packs that could explain the shuddering, but not rough idling. Maybe the problem is related to low-speed running. A bad batch of fuel perhaps? It might be worth taking in to the dealer to see if any fault codes have been logged; otherwise, I'd just monitor it for now.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Thanks mate,
    I'll attempt to go go for a spin in it myself today and see what happens. It's her first car and she's mechanically challenged, so her explanation might be totally different to what I feel it is.

Users Country Flag
    Wow. So, I'm not alone. But squeal is more prominent when under full load (e.g. 4 passengers on board). I'll be booking a slot to check it. hopefully no trouble getting the new clutch assembly too.
    MY14 Golf Mk7 90TSi Comfortline DSG

Users Country Flag
    Hey Guys,

I've had something similar to this but it wasn't DSG squeal it was a waste gate rattle (MK7 with about 10,000kms). VW Aust have a clip they can install to fix it up pretty quickly (Have mine booked in for the 30th).

Any noise is worth checking out, but it might not be the dreaded gearbox.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    i had previously had the waste gate rattle fixed with the clip you mention.
    There is a vast difference between a rattle that sounds much like pinging and a squeal pretty much like a slipping clutch.

OK, mine has done just over 2500k's now and I have started to notice a slight sound when taking off and accelerating at low Revs. like up to about 2000 revs.
    Not sure if it is a DSG squeal or wastegate. It is kind of a rattling/pinging kind of nose which appears to be coming from the front of the car. If it is the wastegate is it the same sound as the MK6? I had the MK6 and it is not the same sound as that.
    When I am going over 80 and/or the revs are higher I don't really hear it.
    You can hear it just under the engine noise.
    Might get it checked but doesn't happen all the time and you really need to "look for the sound".
    MK7.5 R|Lapiz Blue|DAP|Sunroof|Tint
    SOLD MK7 GTI|DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Panoramic Sunroof|Bi-Xenon Lights|Driver Assist|Tint|Euro Plates
    SOLD MK6 GTI|5 Door DSG|Carbon Steel|Leather|Sunroof|Electric Driver Seat|MDI|Tint

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast