Thread: Golf Blind Spot Indicator Upgrade (Passat/Arteon/Tiguan) Style

Users Country Flag

Golf Blind Spot Indicator Upgrade (Passat/Arteon/Tiguan) Style

Just wanted to post my recent upgrade.
    After moving from a Tiguan to a Golf I was missing the blind Spot indicator that is located on the inner side of the frame.
    Very easy to see and notice when a car is in your blind spot. (atleast for me)
    The Golf has the blind spot indicator light located on the actual mirror like most other cars. (as you all know)

After watching the upgrade retro fit instructions on youtube I decided that was exactly what I wanted.
    However as I am not good with a soldering iron and cutting tool I decided to buy the mirror case with the blind spot indicator already fitted. (just like a Tiguan)
    The case comes in silver and also glossy black. (some type of not so expensive plastic)

All I had to do was decide if I wanted the disable to original indicator on the mirror or not.
    I decided to keep the original also.

Here is what it looks like now

SHaring as I believe it may be useful to others.

Regards
    Last edited by ArdiL; 21-02-2023 at 06:50 PM.

Nice work, I'll look into it.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    Nice work, I'll look into it.
    I didnt think about taking photos as the original instructions had everything covered.
    However I have a few to add as mine was slightly different and easier to install.
    As the actual item is a bit tricky to find I have added the link that I used below also.
    My purchased Item is Black cover with blind spot indicator already fixed in place quite nicely.
    It also comes in a silver I believe.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004958440535.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_l ist_main.5.7f821802FYC5eu

My amature work

Fit the new cover making sure to feed the 2 wires through first.
    Golf Blind Spot Indicator Upgrade (Passat/Arteon/Tiguan) Style-wiring-jpg

connect the wires as best as you can
    I just used electrical tape afterwards.
    As I said, Im not good with this sort of stuff.

Golf Blind Spot Indicator Upgrade (Passat/Arteon/Tiguan) Style-wiring2-jpg
    Golf Blind Spot Indicator Upgrade (Passat/Arteon/Tiguan) Style-wiring1-jpg
    Last edited by ArdiL; 22-02-2023 at 09:11 AM. Reason: fonts went crazy

Users Country Flag
    Thats a pretty good idea - probably something I would have done myself if I hadnt decided to sell my car.

My wifes Audi SQ5 has a similar light in the mirror for the blindspot monitor and I agree that its more visible that just the little light in the mirror glass like the Golf has.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    @ArdiL: Hi - very good solution, well done (only suggestion, is to use heat-shrink tubing as insulation over the wire-joins instead electrical tape -which tends to "un-stick" over time) !!

Also, a colleague (@notaGolfR) used a slightly differently solution: he didn't modify the side-mirror housings but instead added a separate pair of LED indicators onto the dashboard that mimicked the mirror LEDs - see Blind Spot Monitor addition

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that it's any better than your approach - just different

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    @ArdiL: Hi - very good solution, well done (only suggestion, is to use heat-shrink tubing as insulation over the wire-joins instead electrical tape -which tends to "un-stick" over time) !!

Also, a colleague (@notaGolfR) used a slightly differently solution: he didn't modify the side-mirror housings but instead added a separate pair of LED indicators onto the dashboard that mimicked the mirror LEDs - see Blind Spot Monitor addition

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that it's any better than your approach - just different

Don
    Hi Don,
    Your right, shrink tubing is most likely the correct way to do it. However I wanted to show how NOT to do it
    I have a feeling sometime down the road I will eventually get the 'opportunlty' to redo it, the correct way.

It is great to have multiple options to choose from when performing mods.

I also replaced the stock indicator with a sequential type a few days ago before I performed this mod in order to get some experience taking off the cap. I also found that by lowering the mirror all the way down then using a knife to push/bend downwards the 2 clips holding the cap it would pop out easier. But as the wiring for the blind spot indicator is not visible from behind I had to remove the mirror to access it. The most delicate part of the job was removing the mirror without breaking it. (I used a suction cup to pull and a plastic tool to push from behind).

As I ordered another set of side mirror covers (with blind spot indicators) for a family member I wanted to add a photo of the actual item as it is before installing. I believe they only come in Silver and glossy Black.
    The blind spot indicator is nicely fitted as can be seen in video.