Support VWWC

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I've done about 3000kms since the clutches were replaced and so far so good.
    Here is hoping it is a permanent fix.

Users Country Flag
    My my14 comfort line 90tsi started to have a squeal on take off about 8000k.
    Only happens after heavy stop start traffic. Not evident all the time but when it does happen it is just when the clutch engages.
    Reminds me of a thrust bearing problem I had years ago with a Morris marina.
    It has also failed to select a gear twice just recently, this was at slow speed though.
    VW Epping want the car for a week to evaluate.
    Giving me a loaner.
    Stay tuned
    But the info in this forum makes me think it too may be a clutch on the way out.

Users Country Flag
    No issue with coasting and re engaging.

My Highline (20k km) is in with the dealer today to check out the clutch noise. Wasn't expecting them to be able to replicate it because I only hear it after commuting into the CBD, but they have managed to do so. Clutch pack replacement under warranty is happening. Part(s) need to come from Sydney, so it won't be ready until tomorrow. Obviously a known issue, but being put down to a defective part and nothing to do with driving style.

Happy with this as I'm about to fit a towbar, and wanted the clutch issue diagnosed and sorted before anyone started saying I'd been towing the Queen Mary or something - but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Users Country Flag
    New clutch installed today. The dealer said they couldn't replicate the noise but not sure how hard they tried. However VW told them to replace the clutch. All good.
    However the loaner a Mk 7 with 2000k had virtually no hesitation on take off. Mine literally chokes on take off.
    I had no idea mine was so bad.
    Drove home with the new clutch and it was way, way better, very little lag on take off. So I'm happy.
    We'll see how it goes.
    Fact Mk 7 DSG have a issue. CLUTCH SQUEAL or DSG Squeal.
    Symptom, a squealing noise just on initial take off, just as clutch engages.
    Usually only appears after heavy stop start driving. Usually intermittent.
    Doesn't seem to be wide spread but ! Bet you these clutches will be back in Germany post haste.
    The VW service experience was fantastic though.

Users Country Flag
    Baz, your perception of VW service is SO in contrary to John Cadogan's, the biggest Aussie VW basher.
    MY14 Golf Mk7 90TSi Comfortline DSG

Mine was replaced too - wasn't sure they'd be able to replicate it as I only heard it at the end of my commute to the CBD. Work sheet said they found clutch noise in 1st, 3rd and 5th. That's consistent, but while I hard heard a noise in 1st and 3rd, I'd never heard it in 5th. I suspect there is now an accepted test procedure and the are worded up on how to abuse the clutch to check it out.

Anyway, clutch replaced under warranty, no arguing and no charge. Had fun in an Up while it was happening. Take off in Eco mode now seems more aggressive than before - not sure if it is just the new clutch, or if resetting the electronics did it (there was a warning that changes may be jerky until it "learnt" my driving behaviour), or if it is a preventative measure to avoid a repeat.

I'm happy with this episode. Although it seems to be a real issue, just not experienced by all.

Users Country Flag
    I use Bayford VW in Vic. From day one they have been great. My wife has a Holden blah and service experience at Watson Holden was akin to cattle being herded into a pen.
    Call it as I see it.

I noticed this squeak about 2 weeks ago when the DSG was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. You can hear it at 3 and 20 seconds in the audio clip. Happened a few days later as well but nothing since.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1372919_70784171_997612

Drivability doesn't seem to be affected yet but I'm keeping a close eye on things.

Users Country Flag

What everyone must understand, is if you payed less than $40,000 for your car on or after 2011, then you are covered under the Australian Consumer Law for all goods and services.

Meaning if you have the same issue repetitively and cannot seem to have the issue resolved in a timely manner that you deem reasonable, then you have the law backing you to receive either a refund or replacement.

But back on topic: I have a 2014 Highline/R-Line, and I have handed my car in is morning to have it looked at, as @ around 1,000 rpm when the clutch hasn't fully engaged in 1st, it will shudder. It's most obvious after driving gently for a long time (having my boss with me for the day as an example) and had noticed the mild shudder at about 2,500k's or so.

I was was given a golf 6 TDi wagon, and have noticed the creep is COMPLETELY different! With my car as I come to a stop I back off the brake to smooth out my driving, but at 5-10kph the clutch re-engages and the car seems to add throttle to start creeping, but his is annoying as I have to brake, then back my foot off the pedal a bit so I don't lurch to a stop, but as the car almost stops the clutch engages jerking me forward and meaning I have to apply more pressure again!

is anyone else noticing this??? I'm not seeing this in the 6 speed wet clutch TDi they gave me!

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast