Support VWWC

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Users Country Flag

A big thanks to everyone in this thread for helping me diagnose and get my DSG issues sorted. In the last 6-12 months I have noticed slipping in 3rd gear and chirp/squeaking as it shifted up under moderate load from K2 to K1. I have a 2016 Mk7 92 TSI, nothing too fancy.

Fortunately after showing the technician at the dealership my recordings, they were able to get a warranty replacement of the clutch packs organised (Car is still under warranty, 5 year). After getting it back, it feels to drive as it should in normal mode without any slip or chirping.

Here are a couple of videos that might help others diagnose similar issues:

Video of DSG Slip (1)
    Video of DSG Slip (2)
    Video of audible DSG Chirping (volume up!)

However, I unfortunately don't think this is where my story ends for my DSG problems... It's been 4 weeks since I took my car back from repair, but just on the past weekend put the car/transmission into "Sport" mode (barely sport on a 92 TSI lol). However, it definitely doesn't behave like it used to... Previously it was comfortable to drive the car in city/suburban traffic in sport and it had reasonable shift points, but now it just feels off.

My main notable issue I have noticed is that when taking off in 1st, it feels like the gearbox is trying to "launch" the car. It keeps the RPM fixed around 2k and slips the clutch whilst the car stays at walking pace, until it eventually either thuds into second or smoothly changes. This is a big issue in city/suburban traffic where you might be stopped at the occasional traffic light.

This is reproducible every take off when in "sport auto" under constant 25% accelerator position. Doing the same in "normal auto", "tiptronic sport", or "tiptronic normal" results in a smoother, lower RPM take off, and actually gets the car moving faster.

Here is a video of this happening:

I took the car back to the dealership today, who claimed to do an adaptation of the transmission (my dashcam footage suggests otherwise besides having the car in their possession all day), but with no improvement they state the car is driving as expected and there is nothing to be concerned about.

Is this true? Does anyone have similar behavior?

Users Country Flag
    Hi Guys,
    I have a 2013 90 TSI and it has a similar issue as some of you guys described above, it shakes/shudders from 1st to 2nd gear when going uphill, and it is more frequent after I driving for awhile. Accroding to what has previously been discussed in this thread I guess it might need a clutch replacement? But since its been out of warranty for quite a few years is it still possible to get covered by VW, does anyone have some recent expeirence? (I have around 65000km on it)

Quote Originally Posted by elewoe View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have a 2013 90 TSI and it has a similar issue as some of you guys described above, it shakes/shudders from 1st to 2nd gear when going uphill, and it is more frequent after I driving for awhile. Accroding to what has previously been discussed in this thread I guess it might need a clutch replacement? But since its been out of warranty for quite a few years is it still possible to get covered by VW, does anyone have some recent expeirence? (I have around 65000km on it)
    Hey Elewoe,
    I've got the same issue, MY14 (bought it at end of 2013). Shudders from 1st to 2nd, usually gets worse after driving for a bit, or when the aircon's on, they confirmed at the dealership it was the clutch but painted it like it was normal wear (I have 43k on the car), the guy didn't mention anything about this being a design issue or a recall, maybe it IS normal, I don't know enough about cars or vdubs for that matter.
    I just stumbled on this forum and skipped to the end, might do some more reading on the issue, I didn't think 43k on an 8 year span was much but there seem to be a line between an acceptable bad design and a recall. I doubt we'd be getting any discounts from the dealerships after that long.

Users Country Flag
    I recently had a “Gearbox Error: OK to drive on” message come up along with an orange gear icon on my 7.5 Golf R. Stopped and restarted the car and the message disappeared but came on again shortly after. Car was still driving normally. Took it into local VW dealer and they gave me a call after doing some diagnostics stating that the car isn’t driveable. Car is 5 months out of (3 year) warranty.

The dealer has actually been very good, they have liaised with VW and they have recommended some kit to do with forks and are covering 100% of the costs. I have also been provided with a loan car (2020 Kia Cerato). I should have the car back next week and I really hope its fixed.

EDIT: Found out from the dealer today that their fix didn’t actually fix it. Now they are talking with VW to see if they will cover a complete mechatronics replacement 🤞
    Last edited by GolfAus; 29-06-2021 at 05:36 PM.

Harsh gear changes after clutch replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    2013 Golf Highline purchased earlier in 2018 with around 45,000km. Clutches started slipping/shuddering in first gear and was diagnosed December 2018 with around 60,000km. Volkswagen covering 100% parts and labour. Clutches fitted January 2019.

Repair kit was 0AM198142G.
    Just trying to gauge here what the car felt like after having the clutches replaced, does it settle down after the first 1k and the adaption phase?

Mine were replaced in my 2013 highline last week and the judder has gone 1st to 2nd gear but the gear changes, especially when getting a move on seem really harsh and quite abrupt.

Thanks

Latest Clutch Pack PArt No

Quote Originally Posted by Liammm View Post
    Hey Zardoz ,

Volkswagen has released a revised clutch pack repair kit for the newer 7 speed dsg . I have only recently noticed the new style clutch in the last month or so. This new style clutch ends with a part number G instead of the previous letters L or M and S. As far as I'm aware this new style clutch combats both the squeaking and shuddering issues.

If your unhappy with the way your car is changing gears whether it's a noise or shudder . Call your local dealership voice your complaints and ask for a test drive with a tech or foreman.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    Hi,

Does anyone know what the latest clutch pack part no is? I have just had a new one installed and the part No is 0AM198142AA.

Thanks

Hi,

I had a new installed not long ago, it was done in an independent garage but the mechanic said he called a “friend” in the dealer and he told him that the part number currently in use was 0AM198140L.

As per the post above I probably got an older model instead
    , but so far so good (30K done so far).

Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...

Users Country Flag
    Our Golf 09/2015 110TSi 7 speed with 115,000kms has started making the same chirping noise as in this video posted by @nickw444 on 19-02-2022 in their 2016 92TSi.
    Golf Mk7 TSI DSG Chirp (2) - YouTube

I assume it's also the clutch plates in ours...?

I have read a few stories where VW have done replacements well outside of warranty period due it being a known issue.
    I have serviced the car myself since warranty expired in 2018, so would this be an issue in attempting to get a replacement citing 'major failure' even though the gearbox is a non-serviceable item?
    I guess it's just a case of asking...

Could this be caused by changing it between D and S mode regularly while driving? I would hope not!

We're sick of throwing money at our VWs, as we've spent nearly $5,000 over the past 2 years on our VW Caravelle, and now that's losing water...again...
    Last edited by blaast; 15-08-2022 at 10:03 PM.

My MY16 R-Line Golf lost power and went into a false neutral on 3 occasions over the past couple of weeks. I ran a scan on the car and it recorded two transmission fault codes. I took it to the dealership today and they diagnosed that the mechatronic unit needs replacing. They contacted Volkswagen Australia to see if they would offer any goodwill concessions but unfortunately they refused to due to the amount of kilometres my car has done. I'm going to call them myself on Monday in the hope that I can persuade them. I've been quoted $3500 to replace it. I'm looking to get some quotes from a couple of independent's but wondering if this price is typical of people are paying?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag

So, we have a Golf 7 110TSI DSG. it doesn't do much driving, just putting around the city. it had the clutches replaced at 33k at the start of 2020. It's started doing the squeal between gears again. Probably worse than the fist time. it's got 58k on it now. it will be 7 in january this year.

We've been textbook VW customers. Bought it new from the dealership and serviced there ever since.

Reckon they will cover it for us? I do think they should.

If not is it going to cost a lot?

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 LastLast