Support VWWC

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Users Country Flag

Have MK7 clutch packs and DSG gearboxes been upgraded?

I know clutch packs have been giving problems.
    I have had three over 27000 kms.
    The last one was supposed to be an upgraded pack but this is unconfirmed.
    Even though my DSG and "upgraded" clutch pack were performing fine the dealership wanted to replace my entire transmission.
    Have they replaced the transmission in my 2013 golf with the same transmission ?
    Has anything changed in the last 2 years?
    Is there anything wrong with the MK7 DSGs ?
    Or are there just few odd failures?

Users Country Flag
    A lot of the problems with them are due to poor quality control at the assembly plant for the transmissions. Very high failure rates before they even go anywhere near a car.

From my experience, the rebuilt exchange ones through VW tend to last the life of the car.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz 55 View Post
    I know clutch packs have been giving problems.
    I have had three over 27000 kms.
    The last one was supposed to be an upgraded pack but this is unconfirmed.
    Even though my DSG and "upgraded" clutch pack were performing fine the dealership wanted to replace my entire transmission.
    Have they replaced the transmission in my 2013 golf with the same transmission ?
    Has anything changed in the last 2 years?
    Is there anything wrong with the MK7 DSGs ?
    Or are there just few odd failures?
    VW has been upgrading the clutches. At least the part numbers have been changing over the years. If you can check the part numbers that would help. Why do they want to replace the entire transmission?

Users Country Flag
    Got the dreaded 1st to 2nd gearchange shudder on a 36degC Sunday a couple of weeks ago,seems to disappear as soon as the
    temperature cooled down and when driven in sports mode.
    Car is a 7 speed DSG 90TSI October/2013 build and only done 18000km as a non-commuter, it's booked in for a new clutch pack on Monday.
    I was told there have been 3 updates to clutches since the car was built with the last one being May 2015 and so far none of the latest
    issues have come back whereas earlier issues were sometimes only lasting 1000km.
    The gearbox and mechatronics have been faultless and after a week of trolling the www there are very little complaints, only the dry clutch packs.
    It will also have a software update which I hope holds 1st gear a bit longer which I think may help with premature clutch wear.
    I find D setting is too eager to change up and the car often "lugs" at 60kph in 7th gear and 1250rpm.
    On the other hand if using S mode it won't change to 4th until 57kph which will cop you a fine from the evil speed cameras in a 50 zone.

I will hopefully have a part number by Tuesday.

Valvster
    Last edited by Valvster; 23-11-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I really don't know. They insisted their was a shudder however I never felt a shudder, ever. I felt they were working perfectly .
    Are you confused? I know I am.
    Originally took it in for a new parking sensor.
    I wasn't going to knock it back though.

Users Country Flag
    Great info Valvstar, thanks.
    I'm thinking two ways, I have the good upgraded gear now, keep the car longer or dump it in the next 12 months.
    I have a platinum warranty for an extra 3 years which covers up to $3000.
    This would cover most items.

Users Country Flag
    I honestly believe the software update is more important than changes to the clutches. That's my hunch. I have clutches from a 2012 Jetta.

Does the judder in D mode gear when it changes from 1 to 2 at low speeds after the clutches have warmed up.
    When driven in manual mode where gear 1 is held for longer there is no judder.

Users Country Flag
    Haven't had any judder for the last 5 days as it's been cool and only short drives, dropped it off this morning and got a base model 90TSI as an overnight loaner with 1200km on the clock. Software seems slightly different and a bit cluncky changing down into 2nd and 1st but that could be the box has adapted to numerous drivers giving it a caning.
    Service adviser also said a new larger spigot bearing comes with the new clutch pack which helps with heat disipation.
    Apparently earlier spigot bearing's affected tolerances as the clutch heats up in stop start conditions and contributed to clutch judder.

Valvster
    Last edited by Valvster; 24-11-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Users Country Flag
    So the latest revision clutch pack has been fitted and all is good.

VW Part Number OAM198140L

This has been fitted to all vehicles by the main dealer in Adelaide since May2015 and there have been no failures (of course May in Adelaide is the start of winter so this summer will be the real test if it's a heat related problem).
    The previous part number fitted to my October 2013 build was OAM198140C.
    Software was also updated and the car drives similar to the loaner I had, no longer quite so eager to change up to 7th at 60kph and a bit more responsive to change to a lower gear.
    I don't notice any change with gears 1 and 2 but it is definitely more driveable in city traffic.
    Here is a guide to all things DSG from LuK the clutch manufacturer
    http://lal-auto.ru/imgbank/tcd/pdf/00060041702255.pdf
    and at the bottom of page 2 is a video on fitting a new dry twin clutch pack
    Schaeffler Automotive Aftermarket Germany *|*Media Library *|*Videos

Cheers....Valvster
    Last edited by Valvster; 29-11-2015 at 01:22 PM.

Users Country Flag

How can you tell what one you have? I have a 2015 July build, so presuming mines all good =)

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast