Thread: Odd steering behaviour

Odd steering behaviour

Hey everyone. I’ve got an mk7 90tsi Golf and it’s been exhibiting some strange steering behaviour. Essentially the steering is very sensitive to road camber only on the left side. So if the road is sloped down to the left the car requires considerable steering correction almost 15 degrees maybe to the right to counteract. If i change lanes and the road now slopes down to the right the car doesn’t need as much correction probably barely 2-3 degrees to the left to counteract and thats only when there’s a considerable slope to the right. But when the road is ever so slightly sloped to the left the considerable correction is needed. On level roads the steering is centre. It’s had a 4 wheel alignment and the wheels are aligned. Took into the dealer multiple times and they couldnt find anything wrong. Last time they tried retorquing the front suspension and it actually seemed to improve the steering and it wasn’t so pronounced on the left but it went back to how it was within tops 2 days.
    What do you guys think is happening?

Users Country Flag
    Try swapping the front tyres left to right.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Where are you taking it for an alignment?

Check all tyre pressures, I got trapped with car not steering properly after we repaired it after a smash and the rear tyre pressures were wrong. It has got stock wheels on it?

Thanks for the responses guys!

So tire pressures all equal. This issue has been happening for a while as I said and I’ve been to the dealer multiple times and they just can’t figure it out. There’s also been some clunking noises occasionally from the front suspension and they said everything is fine and normal. Issue remained even when I got 4 new tires a year ago (not to attempt to resolve this issue but just because the older ones were bare). Alignment was done last at a local mechanic since I gave up on the dealers and he too said everything in the front suspension was fine.

It’s just super strange to me because not only do I get these mysterious clunks in the suspension but the car seems fine on a road that is perfectly level and doesn't pull anymore than other cars do on a road that slopes right. But the slightest slope to the left will make it pull. The tires on it are michelin primacy 4

Users Country Flag
    The clunking noises you hear from the front of the car are likely to be one or more of the following:

- strut tops
    - strut top bearings
    - control arm rear bush
    - sway bar end link

I had creaking and clunking in my Mk7 GTI with only 48,000km on it when going in and out of driveways and occasionally on bumpy roads. I replaced the strut tops and strut top bearings and greased the control arm bushings and the noise is significantly better now.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Plainly something is not right, my best suggestion would be to try a suspension expert. Whereabouts are you located?

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST