Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question on Driver Assistance

Users Country Flag

Newbie question on Driver Assistance

I ran Carista over my new-to-me 110 TSI golf wagon yesterday. It found 14 errors. I cleared them all and so far they haven't returned. After this, I made 2 changes to the car from within the App. I turned off Stop/Start and enabled the reverse mirror dip (which worked once and hasn't worked since). I then drove a few k's and picked up my son who drove the car home. On the way home, the car was giving off alerts whenever we were close to another car - almost as if it was in a parking mode. It was loud and a bit distracting. He is a learner driver though, so it did teach him a few things about relative distance. Since then, I cannot work out how this could have happened. I have driven 2000 ks in this car over a week. I understand the ACC - I used it a lot. I also understand the lane assistance - I felt it once or twice. Also reversing out of a spot in torrential rain, I felt the emergency brake which came on in error. And the parking mode has a picture of the car on the screen. But the mode I experienced with my son was not like this. It was like a driving version of the park assist or something. I'm sorry if this sounds vague but is there a mode which would beep an alarm if you drove up behind another car? And not just a beep - I get that if I drive too close to the garage door. This was an alarm and it was active all around the car. Thanks for your time - it's much appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    Paragraphs would make it a lot easier to read.

Sounds like one of the parking buttons was pressed

What does your manual say????
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    @troutstudio:interesting name - I love trout (to catch on a fly - not to eat)!!

Of course I'm guessing and I am really reading-between-the-lines of your description - but I wonder if your car has what VW calls "Front Assist detection system".

Front Assist has two components; the first is warn and the second is to actively engage, if the warning isn’t heeded. The second component involves increasingly severe automated applications of the brake depending on how imminent the assist system believes that a pending collision is likely. Clearly this is NOT the problem in your case because you haven't described the brakes being applied

However, the first part of Front Assist is what VW calls "Forward Collision Warning system" which as the name implies - warns drivers of imminent collisions through alarm noises as well as visually through a dashboard warning light. I'm guessing that it's this safety alert system that may be causing the problem - intermittently giving false positives, perhaps?

I'm not sure of the build date on your 110 TSI, but on mk7's there are a couple of driver selectable software switches for Front Assist that might be worth checking - like this:
    1. Turn ignition-on and engine-off
    2. Turn-on MIB (the center screen for the infotainment unit)
    3. Press CAR on the RHS escutcheon plate of the MIB screen
    4. On the lower RHS of the next screen, press setup (it looks like a gear-cog)
    5. Navigate down the "Vehicle settings" screen and select Driver assistance
    6. If your car has Front Assist , there should be an entry on the next screen with 2 x tick boxes labelled Active and Advance warning
    7. Remove the tick from Advance warning
    8. Back-out of all the screens

Maybe drive the car with this setting for a while to ascertain that the problem doesn't re-occur- understanding of course that you have just deactivated part of Front Assist. But there are lots of cars on the road without the pre-sense warning part of Front Assist and even more cars without Front assist, at all!! If no more problems re-occur - see a dealer.

In the alternative, simply see a dealer as soon as possible and forget my suggestions!!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 16-04-2021 at 05:27 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks very much everyone who posted - I am going to test; with manual in car. I have been reading it. I just find the manual more of a "what should happen" as opposed to "here's how to use it" I think this is made worse by the need for instructions that work across the 3 equipment levels.

Quote Originally Posted by troutstudio View Post
    On the way home, the car was giving off alerts whenever we were close to another car - almost as if it was in a parking mode. It was loud and a bit distracting.
    i sometimes get that in traffic when i am slowing to an intersection with cars around me in my passat or golf which both have DAP. Its like the side sensors get confused and the park assist screen comes up..
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Cars are programmed to behave a certain way when it comes to turning things on and off. For example, you'll find that the 'parking' sensors will automatically come on when you're inching forward into a spot between objects (be it a wall or another car on either side) it will then turn on the sensors.

I assume your learner is 'inching' in traffic with coasting throttle (i.e in gear, zero pedal) and very light braking applications. The car will assume you're parking and turn the parking sensor stuff on.

I've seen this happen time and time again in my 2017 Audi, my wife's 2020 Golf GTi, and pretty much every car I test drive in the last five or six years (I test drive around 100+ different cars a year for the media, ) and you name it they all do it.

I predict traffic flow and often come to a stop with little brake when crawling in traffic and all the buzzer come on etc. I've tested this theory by driving like a taxi driver and accelerating and braking firmly to a stop behind the traffic and nothing turns on in the same car that earlier was buzzing like a teenager's iPhone getting Instagram notifications...

I've even had cars go full ABS on me when in tunnels and built-up areas as the computer has assumed I'm about to hit a stationary object and there was nothing in front. It is all programmed to be super conservative
    Last edited by minke; 16-04-2021 at 01:21 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I would reverse the changes you made with Carista in relation to the driver assistance. I have Carista myself and while it is a very handy tool, some of the options that come up as being able to change either do nothing at all or dont do what they say they will do.

The start/stop disabling works - I can confirm I have used Carista to disable that in my own Mk7 GTI.

As for the mirror dip, you need to make sure your mirror adjustment switch is set to the left hand mirror for it to work. If its in the middle setting or the right setting the mirror dip when in reverse will not activate.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post

As for the mirror dip, you need to make sure your mirror adjustment switch is set to the left hand mirror for it to work. If its in the middle setting or the right setting the mirror dip when in reverse will not activate.
    Lucas: Hi. Regardless which diagnostic device is used, in my experience the most important decider as to whether mirror-dip will (or will not) work as a tweak is the factory installed equipment!

Mirror-dip function needs to have some way of remembering the co-ordinates of the start position- so that the mirror can correctly return when the car moves in the forward direction. In cars that have factory enabled mirror-dip, the fittings contain a memory module for this purpose. However, in cars where this function isn't factory programmed - the memory module is often (but not always) missing!

It's easy to confirm whether the memory module is installed - but the process varies with the type of diagnostic device used! If the memory facility is missing, the tweak won't work - or, if the tweak does work the mirror won't return to its original position (passenger mirror always needs to be re-adjusted)

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 17-04-2021 at 07:29 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Mirror-dip function needs to have some way of remembering the co-ordinates of the start position- so that the mirror can correctly return when the car moves in the forward direction. In cars that have factory enabled mirror-dip, the fittings contain a memory module for this purpose. However, in cars where this function isn't factory programmed - the memory module is often (but not always) missing!
    Don
    Hey Don,

i find that my passat which has factory enabled mirror dip, sometimes forgets to go back to regular driving position and i have to manually adjust it back. it seems hit and miss, whereas my audi never skips a beat and returns to original driving position...
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by FarQ View Post
    Hey Don,

i find that my passat which has factory enabled mirror dip, sometimes forgets to go back to regular driving position and i have to manually adjust it back. it seems hit and miss, whereas my audi never skips a beat and returns to original driving position...
    @FarQ: (or should that read "Far canal"?): Hi - that's very odd passat behavior!!

It's a very easy task to confirm whether the mirror modules have the memory facility - but you need access to a diagnostic cable

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast