Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new rear muffler Golf GTI 7.5 (2018)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

The other option is now that I have installed the track hack exhaust the cars sound may improve if I get rid of the resonator? I want to make sure the next exhaust mod is a good one.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Yes I certainly considered the TCR muffler but decided against it for several reasons.

1) Looks - subjective of course. Its still an ugly OEM muffler and small exhaust tips
    2) Only moderately louder than the stock muffler
    3) Price vs sound/looks ratio

I knew that if I got the TCR muffler that I would still have to spend $200-300 to get some nice exhaust tips welded on. So that took the price up to say $800-900.

If you decide to remove it, im sure you will be able to sell it to someone else relatively easily for a small $ loss. Otherwise, try a resonator delete and see if you like it. It will certainly make it louder, it just depends on whether the tone stays nice and deep or goes tinny/farty, and whether there is much drone.

I did a resonator delete on my Mk7 (with the stock rear muffler) pics here and it certainly increased the volume and you could hear the crack of the DSG gear changes, with only minor drone. The issue for me was that the overall tone wasn't very nice, it became a bit tinny and farty in my opinion. I was going to have a small high quality resonator fitted to deepen the tone and reduce the fartyness but in the end, decided to go with a whole new exhaust so I got the looks along with the sound.

I have a video of the CTS exhaust on my old Mk6 GTI if you want to see it (i can link to the Youtube video) but havent done a video yet on my Mk7 GTI (although its very a similar sound).

Quote Originally Posted by coasta007 View Post
    Thanks for the photos. It looks quite nice. I like the idea of it not being too much louder so I'll add that to the consideration list.

I bought and installed the GTI TCR Rear Muffler
    – Track Hack Parts
    but that was a waste. As soon as I'm buying exhaust I'll try and sell the one I bought
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 22-06-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yes. I'll probably try the resonator delete and see how it goes.

I was looking at the x-force exhaust with the ability to adjust the valve position and also being able to have a certain valve position as you're coming home etc which is a great idea but not too keen if it sounds like garbage.

Any other exhausts with adjustable valve positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    I have a video of the CTS exhaust on my old Mk6 GTI if you want to see it (i can link to the Youtube video) but havent done a video yet on my Mk7 GTI (although its very a similar sound).
    Yes please.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by coasta007 View Post
    Yes please.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 22-06-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Sounds,good. I think the CTS is the one to go for.

Users Country Flag
    This is a Milltek on a 1.4TFSI A1 A1 Miltek Exhaust - YouTube it has a center resonator for a deeper sound.

And a Supersprint (for a MK7.5 GTI actually) on a 1.4 110TSI Golf 110TSI Supersprint Exhaust - YouTube it has no resonator so a more raspy sound.

Golf R with an UGP resonator delete R with muffler delete - YouTube this was actually quite nice, but no match for the Milltek it has on now (will post a video over the weekend if you can wait that long)

After the Milltek on the A1, I went Milltek for the R (non valved and no resonated) and the Up! (resonated) and the sound quality for all is amazing. XForce not so much .... very tinny so the Amarok will probably go Milltek soon too.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 23-06-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Ok. Here's the latest. I installed the Track Hack exhaust and also deleted the resonator. It was definitely an improvement but still not a nice tone.

I'd like something that is a bit discreet when I start it but a deeper sound we then I drive it...

Users Country Flag
    Thats a shame mate after the time and money spent.

I’ll grab a few videos of the CTS on my Mk7 GTI over the next day or two and upload here so you can hear what it sounds like. I’ll do a cold start and a take off/drive by for you.

The CTS is without a doubt one of the quietest aftermarket exhaust options for the Mk7, so any of the other brands (Milltek, Unitronic etc) will be louder as they either have no resonator or only a small one.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Thats a shame mate after the time and money spent.

I’ll grab a few videos of the CTS on my Mk7 GTI over the next day or two and upload here so you can hear what it sounds like. I’ll do a cold start and a take off/drive by for you.

The CTS is without a doubt one of the quietest aftermarket exhaust options for the Mk7, so any of the other brands (Milltek, Unitronic etc) will be louder as they either have no resonator or only a small one.
    Yes. Bit of a shame but hopefully the CTS does the trick. The track hack exhaust and res delete sounded OK but I prefer the bit more of a mellow/classy sound rather than a barking sound. My mrs hated it because she reckons it wakes the neighbours. Lol.

American Express

There's a selection there for a 7.5 which has the resonator in the middle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast