Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New gear shift assembly

Users Country Flag

New gear shift assembly

So been getting intermittent error message on my dash that says "Error: workshop! Leave vehicle only when selector lever is in Position P.". It's usually not up for long enough to actually see.

New gear shift assembly-img_20170203_172934-jpg
    Image curtesy of the internet. Mine is never up long enough to get a photo of.

Anyway, this happened about 5-10 times at random in the last 6 months. Each time, the error would go away leaving no trace (nothing returns on VCDS). Didn't affect the car so I never bothered. The other day, the message came up and stayed for long enough I could actually read the entire message and re-read it to confirm what I saw, I though, fair enough... time to do something about it.

Plugged the trusty Ross-Tech cable in, sure enough, a fault code was logged that occurred twice. Error: Switch for Selector Lever Position P Lock (F319): Implausible Signal

This issue is well documented online overseas. Generally VW just replaces the entire shifter assembly. Called up my VW service centre, explained the symptoms as described here, they agreed the car needs a new shifter assembly. Agreed they'd order the part in so I don't have to make two trips while they confirm what I already know. Hopefully it'll be relatively painless. Car in warranty, but even if it's not, I'd argue the shifter assembly should last more than 3 years...
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Users Country Flag
    How did you go wit this? Has VW replaced the shifter assembly? Ive had the same issue and car has been in for diagnostics and they can find anything. They have said to get a picture of the error message and bring it back. They know of the issue and say its "rare".

Users Country Flag
    Thread re-visit.....

Anyone else seen this or found a solution since? Seems to be pretty common with UK owners. It's just come up on my wife's Fabia with <1000km's on the clock. Pretty annoying
    Ben

Now ~ Kodiaq TDi & Fabia Monte Carlo
    Past ~ Octavia II vRS / Bora 4Motion Sport / Golf IV GTI Anni

Quote Originally Posted by RedBen View Post
    Anyone else seen this or found a solution since? Seems to be pretty common with UK owners. It's just come up on my wife's Fabia with <1000km's on the clock. Pretty annoying
    As described in many places (this is definitely not a "rare" problem), a new selector mechanism is the usual solution. Take a photo of the error msg and show it to your dealer and get it fixed under warranty.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    As described in many places (this is definitely not a "rare" problem), a new selector mechanism is the usual solution. Take a photo of the error msg and show it to your dealer and get it fixed under warranty.
    Thread re-vist
    Finally got a picture of the error msg and took the car into VW for some other issues as well as this.
    They have said a scan does not come up with any faults but they have done a software update and checked all connectors. I am to monitor and report back if the issue occurs again.

Car has to go back to fix issue with seat warmer so will see if it happens in the next 3 weeks...
    Last edited by gavin_za2001; 12-09-2018 at 01:59 PM.

Unfortunately you will probably need to go back. From what I've read this problems doesn't fix itself, over time it usually gets more frequent. Keep a diary record each time it happens to help persuade your dealer to fix it.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Our Fabia went in yesterday to get the switch replaced. No dramas or denials of warranty etc.
    Ben

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Sorry guys for the delay, haven't been visiting in a while.

As described, the part was ordered. I simply turned up, took the loan car for the day, returned and they'd replaced the gear assembly no questions asked.

The most painless exchange I've had so far.
    Golf MK7 103TSI Highline Wagon | Limestone Grey | DAP2
    Golf MK7 110TDI Highline Hatchback | Tungsten Silver | DAP

Users Country Flag
    Just as an FYI, job description and parts replaced as follows. Cost amount "Warranty" so don't have that information.

New gear shift assembly-screen-shot-2018-09-15-10-23-46-am-png
    Ben

Users Country Flag

I am getting a similar error. The car is out of warranty.
    Anyone else had this fixed out of warranty? If yes, what was the approximate cost for the fix?

NineVW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast