Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New gear shift assembly

Users Country Flag

I'm also getting this error and out of warranty - following

Getting this error also, out of warranty. Following

Bringing in my 2017 Golf Wagon in next week with this issue.
    Hopefully they can resolve it quickly. Don't have photos (it's so intermittent, and unsafe to photograph while driving!), so hopefully they know what to do.

Hi Vader,

How did you go with the fix? Was yours a warranty repair?

I recently had the shift assembly replaced on a 2016 Polo Gti under goodwill from VW.

This car has only 40000 km and full service history so might have helped.

I was quoted the cost when first diagnosed was $1880 and questioned whether VW would offer some goodwill, given many posts of the same problem on the internet, they came back with a no cost replacement, so happy with the outcome.

The dealer showed me the selector unit after it was replaced and there would be very little chance pulling it apart to replace the microswitch which gets gummed up.

From what I’ve read and advised by the technicians that done the work some VW models are the full shifter assembly replacement, others can be a new P position micro switch fitted and daughter board , this solution is only a few hundred dollars.

So you can only ask the question of the dealer, they did also advise it won’t affect the driving of the car but progressively keeps throwing up the error more.

Hi Dav44e
    My mk7 golf had the same issue few years ago, got it replaced under warranty. And a few weeks ago the warning message came on again but the car is now out of warranty.

I'm just wondering how smooth was your experience getting it replaced under good will?
    And would you mind letting me know which VW dealership this was?
    Thanks

Users Country Flag
    finally fixed this issue myself, using part 5Q0713128A there is another part depending on your model - mine is 16 Mk7, watched video Mk7 Golf R - Error: workshop! Only leave vehicle in Position P - Repair kit walk through - YouTube - mine was the other type so used info here https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V615-0044.pdf - had to use a combination of both methods to get to the shifter but an easy repair, took about an hour and a half. Part was $137.50 from the stealer, cheaper if you get it from overseas

I just had this issue also. Any DIY’s?

Users Country Flag
    read my post above, pretty easy fix

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KFiddy View Post
    read my post above, pretty easy fix
    Hi Folks, As for being easy. It's taken quite a while to remove all the plastic trim parts (without breaking anything). My 2018 Mk 7.5 has the black shifter unit which requires VW part 5Q0713128A. What the YouTube videos and the US/Canada warranty repair job doesn't tell is that the microswitch kit has two (2) connectors for the single terminal coming from the vehicle. I have tried both and got a multitude of error codes. ATM the car is back to previous and the codes are cleared.
    Time for more research.

BTW the problem was fuxed under warranty. Oh really? Then where is the replaced microswitch Mr Stealership?
    A VW Golf is like a German art house film, laughing clowns and naked women fighting maddened crows. A Toyota Corolla is like a glass of tap water. Jeremy Clarkson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast