Thread: New car order: extras 'not available in configurator'

Users Country Flag

New car order: extras 'not available in configurator'

I have ordered a new car, comfortline, manual, dap, which (apparently) hasn't been built yet...

My question: Has anybody been successful in the past in ordering extras that are not 'standard' or available to the Australian market?

On VW's German site, options such as sports seats, engines etc can be added individually to an order.
    (Ideally I would have liked the 150hp highline engine instead of the 120hp option available for a manual non-gti golf)
    Current:Golf V 2.0 TDI, 2007, Comfortline, Manual, ESP, Parking Sensors.Previous: (VAG listed only)
    Golf MK1 GLS 1.6, 1977, Audi Coupe GT 1.8, 1978, Scirocco GLI 1.6, 1978, Scirocco GT 1.6, 1978, Scirocco GL 1.6, 1977, VW Golf GL MK1 1.6, 1976, VW Polo L MK1 1.4, 1976.

Users Country Flag
    You are going to be limited to what VW Australia want to sell.
    If the planned free trade agreements actually get implemented we may be able to import directly, this would open up the individual options a lot more, but would need to get right hand drive.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    You'd still be bound by what VW HQ would sell you, they'd direct you to VWA.

Guess you could buy from a dealer, not sure how the warranty claim would go if they wanted to see the car.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    If they let you buy it then they have to provide after-sales support (warranty, spares, training to techs on how to fix). You haven't got a chance. They won't even let you choose overseas colours.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    They won't even let you choose overseas colours.
    There have been a few exceptions. Someone managed to get the Passat Alltrack in red. Wasn't there also a run of Mk6 GTIs that came in a non-available Australian colour too?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    There have been a few exceptions. Someone managed to get the Passat Alltrack in red. Wasn't there also a run of Mk6 GTIs that came in a non-available Australian colour too?
    There's been some exceptions but I believe there was some wrist slapping associated with it too.

I find the Australian VW / Skoda colour choices so boring. Wife refused to buy an Alltrack because the colours were all "old man choices".

I think colour should be one thing that you can get a special order on - maybe with a non-refundable component in case you decide to bail out after the build is locked-in.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    I've argued that point for years - there is absolutely no problem for VWA to do it, and if the customer is willing to pay whatever is deemed a fair non-refundable deposit so the dealer doesn't get stuck with a purple GTI at a loss than what is the harm? Besides VWA actually giving a crap about its customer base.. ha yeah ok there's the answer.

--- FS: 2016 Golf GTI 40 years, white, DSG, 18,xxxkm -------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Audi SQ5 | 2016 Golf GTI CS + OZ UL HLTs | Retired: 2018 Audi RS3 sportback + OZ Leggera HLTs
    2017 Golf R Wolfsburg Sportwagen | 2016 BMW 340i + M-Performance tune/exhaust | 2015 Audi S3 sedan
    2014 Golf GTI + OZ Leggera HLTs | 2012 Polo 77TSI (hers) | 2010 Golf GTI Stage 2 + OZ ST LMs

Users Country Flag
    The only variation that i ever managed to get was ordering shadow blue on a MY08 GTI after they discontinued that colour on MY08.

Users Country Flag

I managed to get my Golf TDI Mk5 with an all black interior. (Leather was optioned) Apparently you get that vanilla colour if you get dark leather, we told them no thanks