Support VWWC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MY20 (brand new only 400km) GTI - Sometimes Jolts from a stand still

MY20 (brand new only 400km) GTI - Sometimes Jolts from a stand still

Hi,

Bought a new GTi. We've had it two weeks and talking with the wife (her car) we've both experienced something of an odd behaviour.

Cold or warm (unsure of hot) we've both experienced a few times when slight depressing the throttle the initial movement involves a rather significant jolt. It feels like there's a loss of 'bite' either at the wheels or clutch and then an instant traction and then movement. It is really hard to describe.

The first time it happened to me the car was cold. I started and waited 10-15 seconds before selecting D in normal and gentle applying throttle. It felt like it moved an inch or two before the clunk/jolt movement. It was wet and I, at the time, put it down to perhaps the front wheels running over small branch that allowed a break in traction and then the sudden bite.

I then felt it again a few days later. Again in the wet but also again barely any throttle on a flat road.

I didn't think much of this until wife said 'oh you know the other day when we left physio and you got the jolt... I've had that a few times too!'

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Any chance it was after the car had been sitting without moving for a few hours with wet brake pads ? If so, rust can make the pads stick to the disks and it can then let go suddenly which will feel like a minor jolt.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

do you have the auto hold on with the handbrake

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Any chance it was after the car had been sitting without moving for a few hours with wet brake pads ? If so, rust can make the pads stick to the disks and it can then let go suddenly which will feel like a minor jolt.
    Good idea. One of my experiences was after the car was only parked for one hour. One of my wife's experiences was after she had driven 800m (from my house to first traffic light) and then it happened. so I don't think rust would be the issue

Quote Originally Posted by tw586 View Post
    do you have the auto hold on with the handbrake
    yep - but it isn't that which is causing it. that sensation is completely different. MY A4 TSFI Quattro Avant also has Auto hold an has never exhibited the issue (same engine/gearbox at the new GTI)

Sounds like wheel hop (maybe). Which is loss of traction when you’re taking off from lights and hit a road imperfection.

I have the same car and was getting it quite a lot at the start, before I got accustomed to it. These cars have a LOT of grunt for a front wheel drive car.

Do the traction lights flash up in orange when you get it?

I could be way off the mark, but it’s a possibility nonetheless.

I solve it by turning off traction control (hold down the bottom left button in the gear shifter area until it beeps). But I wouldn’t do that in the wet.

My issues with traction have also significantly declined/almost disappeared since changing tyres to Michelin Sport 4S (only available in Australia in 19 inch).

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    I was going to ask the forum about what you mention above ...happens to my GTI in the morning after an afternoon wash....its clearly the brakes ...most disconcerting the first time it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by westenderbender View Post
    Sounds like wheel hop (maybe). Which is loss of traction when you’re taking off from lights and hit a road imperfection.

I have the same car and was getting it quite a lot at the start, before I got accustomed to it. These cars have a LOT of grunt for a front wheel drive car.

Do the traction lights flash up in orange when you get it?

I could be way off the mark, but it’s a possibility nonetheless.

I solve it by turning off traction control (hold down the bottom left button in the gear shifter area until it beeps). But I wouldn’t do that in the wet.

My issues with traction have also significantly declined/almost disappeared since changing tyres to Michelin Sport 4S (only available in Australia in 19 inch).
    the two instances with myself were maybe 5% throttle. My 57 year old wife with zero interest in introducing the pedal to the carpet, ever!, I doubt would've had more than 5% throttle

Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    My 57 year old wife with zero interest in introducing the pedal to the carpet, ever!
    That you know of MY20 (brand new only 400km) GTI - Sometimes Jolts from a stand still

Well there goes my theory. Must be something different, unfortunately I cannot help as I’ve never had it!

Quote Originally Posted by westenderbender View Post
    That you know of MY20 (brand new only 400km) GTI - Sometimes Jolts from a stand still

Well there goes my theory. Must be something different, unfortunately I cannot help as I’ve never had it!
    She's come out of a MY03 Subaru 2.0L 92KW and 140NM (from memory) . She never mated the pedal to the firewall. I'd often have it welded. heheh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast