Thread: Is my Golf GTI a MY2016??

Users Country Flag

Is my Golf GTI a MY2016??

I recently purchased a GTI Performance which was manufactured in August 2015. Does anyone know if this would make my car a MY2016 model? Is their any identification on the car to prove what "MY" it is?

The original owner misplaced the owners manual so I cant refer to that.

Was going to buy an Integrated Engineering tune but there is a disclaimer saying its only for MY2016+ vehicles.

https://vwcentral.com.au/ie-vw-audi-...v-a3-2015.html
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 06-10-2020 at 11:44 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Easiest way to tell is if you have the larger MIB2 head unit display in the car, depending on exact build date, its possibly my16 if august.

Regarding tune, the cars are almost identical from 2016 to 2019 mechanically, unless the tune requires the MIB2 interface not sure why it wouldn't work.. Easier to get an APR style ecu tune and be done with it : )
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    Easiest way to tell is if you have the larger MIB2 head unit display in the car, depending on exact build date, its possibly my16 if august.

Regarding tune, the cars are almost identical from 2016 to 2019 mechanically, unless the tune requires the MIB2 interface not sure why it wouldn't work.. Easier to get an APR style ecu tune and be done with it : )
    Thanks for the input and info. My car has the smaller head unit. I have emailed the IE reseller in Australia to ask them. The thing I have in mind is that my ECU is a Continental (Siemens?) and in the later Golf's they went back to using Bosch ECU's which they have used for quite some time.

Not a fan of APR personally, and really like the DIY-ability that some of the other tuning companies offer. I have used this method on several of my past cars (Lexus IS-F, Mk6 Golf R) and had good results as well as the convenience of doing it yourself in my spare time.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    My understanding (from 13 years ago) is that the VW manufacturing year starts in week 26, so end of June, each year.
    When I ordered a diesel EOS in March 2007, I was informed that the diesel engines were not due to be manufactured until the start of MY2008, in week 26.
    The build date on the EOS was June 25, which was the first day of week 25.
    Coincidentally, my current Mk7.5 GTI was also built in August, but 2017.
    The first Mk7.5 Golfs were MY2018 models.
    Mk 7.5 GTI | Manual | Indium Grey | Driver Assist | Infotainment | Luxury Package

Quote Originally Posted by LAnMarc View Post
    My understanding (from 13 years ago) is that the VW manufacturing year starts in week 26, so end of June, each year.
    When I ordered a diesel EOS in March 2007, I was informed that the diesel engines were not due to be manufactured until the start of MY2008, in week 26.
    The build date on the EOS was June 25, which was the first day of week 25.
    Coincidentally, my current Mk7.5 GTI was also built in August, but 2017.
    The first Mk7.5 Golfs were MY2018 models.
    ok thanks for your input. I was reasonably sure my car would classify as a MY2016, but just wanted to be sure before I purchased this tune.

I have had confirmation overnight from IE that my car is supported for tuning so off I go to burn a hole in my savings.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 08-10-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Lucas, have you started your GTI PP thread yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Lucas, have you started your GTI PP thread yet ?
    No - not yet. I have been meaning to get one started though.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST