Thread: Mk7R JB4 + Insurance Claim (is it legal modification)

Mk7R JB4 + Insurance Claim (is it legal modification)

Hi, has anyone had experience with having a JB4 + making an insurance claim?

I am with AAMI and they say any legal modifications covered (no need to list) - so say if I was to get into an accident and had to make a claim, will the JB4 be possible cause of denial?

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    In my experience of working for a Suncorp preferred (covers AAMI, GIO Shannon's, etc) smash repairs , we've never had a scenario where we need to check or care about what ECU modifications have been performed. I don't think anyone would bat an eye.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by charcus View Post
    In my experience of working for a Suncorp preferred (covers AAMI, GIO Shannon's, etc) smash repairs , we've never had a scenario where we need to check or care about what ECU modifications have been performed. I don't think anyone would bat an eye.
    @charcus: I'm surprised!!

I invite that you consider the following scenario -please

I want to use my mk7 for occasional track-work. So I modify the ABS module to remove ESC/Traction control.

Subsequently, whilst travelling on a public road - I lose steering (doesn't matter how this happens) and I plow into another car coming in the opposite direction- and unfortunately, the other driver is killed.

During the ensuing civil/legal court case, the estate of the plaintiff succeeds in proving that modifying the ABS module was a contributing factor in the accident.

Are you saying that an insurer like SUNCORP (or its subsidiary companies) "would [not] bat an eye" and would settle the insurance claim as if the car was not modified?

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 20-01-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag

I have had Shannon's check over my car at the time of a claim.
    The claims assessor arranged to view my car while on a hoist at the repairer. He checked suspension, wheels, exhaust and asked me for the detail of the ECU chip I had.
    I think they were looking for a way to reject the claim.
    Everything they found was listed on my policy and met legal requirements. Claim was paid, could have easily been different if I was not upfront and honest.
    You will find details in your insurance PDS about your duty of disclosure. It is your responsibility to inform your insurer whenever anything changes that would alter their risk.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.