Support VWWC

Thread: MK7 TSI long term reliability

MK7 TSI long term reliability

I am keen on a 2nd hand TSI between the years 2013-2016. Just wondering if any owners here can vouch for their long term reliability? Happy to budget extra to ensure maintenance is done on time, I am only concerned about costly mechatronics and dry clutch replacements. Currently driving my parents manual Corolla so I dont think I will have issues driving a DCT and overheating the clutch.

Are there any tips to maintaining the dq200 gearbox? Does changing the transmission gear oil help?

New to the Volkswagen scene but have done a fair amount of research on the mk7 tsi, but experiences seem very polarizing, if it helps I won't do any mods

Alteratively would also like experiences on the manual transmission, if I can get a good deal I wouldn't mind a manual for cheaper maintenance costs and less fear of the unknown from the dq200 transmission.

Appreciate any responses, thanks.
    Last edited by falkord; 26-04-2022 at 12:47 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Water pump will fail every 2-3 years, on a 2016 model you may get VW to pay for it once, any older and you will be up for a bit of money (~$1000) every time.

The DQ200 will fail at least once every 5 years, unlikely to get much help from VW on it now, be up for quite a bit of money every time (~3500-$5000 each time).

Get a manual, far cheaper to run, although you will still have the waterpump issue. Other problems are known but much rarer.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Water pump will fail every 2-3 years, on a 2016 model you may get VW to pay for it once, any older and you will be up for a bit of money (~$1000) every time.

The DQ200 will fail at least once every 5 years, unlikely to get much help from VW on it now, be up for quite a bit of money every time (~3500-$5000 each time).

Get a manual, far cheaper to run, although you will still have the waterpump issue. Other problems are known but much rarer.

clutch plate and flywheel might need replacing every 5 years.. 600 - 1000 in parts and medium but doeable job if u have the right tools or a mate to help / mechanic.

how much is a new clutch for a manual ? that will cost money too when u need to change it every 1 - 3 years depending on driving style

waterpumps cost 200 - 300 for the item and takes a comfortable 2 - 3 hours to do if ur game to it urself.. its not that hard

Users Country Flag
    The 1.4 TSI's tend to suffer quite a lot with heavy oil consumption issues, which ends up becoming an expensive fix no matter how you look at it. Im on a few Aussie VW Golf Facebook pages and the amount of people with Mk7 TSI's with crazy oil consumption issues is worrying.

1) just keep topping up the oil every few weeks. Oil isnt cheap - especially the correct VW spec oil which is approx $20 per litre. Even cheap oil is $10-12 per litre.
    2) rebuild or replace the engine.

And the DQ200 is a ticking time bomb. Many owners sell the cars when a major issue pops up so its always a possibility you are buying someone else's problem. Cars driven in busy cities will be worse as the DQ200 suffers from overheating in stop-start traffic where the cars creep forward very slowly and the clutches are constantly engaging-disengaging over and over.

Honestly I would recommend putting your hard earned money towards a Japanese or Korean car which will be much more reliable and cheaper to maintain in both the short and long term. A traditional torque converter automatic gearbox is much more reliable and stop-start traffic does not bother them.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 26-04-2022 at 02:33 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    clutch plate and flywheel might need replacing every 5 years.. 600 - 1000 in parts and medium but doeable job if u have the right tools or a mate to help / mechanic.

how much is a new clutch for a manual ? that will cost money too when u need to change it every 1 - 3 years depending on driving style

waterpumps cost 200 - 300 for the item and takes a comfortable 2 - 3 hours to do if ur game to it urself.. its not that hard
    Don't assume people will 1) do the work themselves or 2) cheaply. People like us who do most things ourselves are rare these days. Always assume retail will be paid for parts and labour.

The manual clutch will last quite a bit more than 3 years Our TSI is now 4.5 years old, been tuned since year 2 and still on the original clutch (although it is struggling with the extra torque of the tune lately).
    Last edited by Sharkie; 26-04-2022 at 01:48 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Don't assume people will 1) do the work themselves or 2) cheaply. People like us who do most things ourselves are rare these days. Always assume retail will be paid for parts and labour.

The manual clutch will last quite a bit more than 3 years Our TSI is now 4.5 years old, been tuned since year 2 and still on the original clutch (although it is struggling with the extra torque of the tune lately).
    true but its good to know the actual costs of the parts and the task at hand... mechanics price quoted is not always the actual price

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The 1.4 TSI's tend to suffer quite a lot with heavy oil consumption issues, which ends up becoming an expensive fix no matter how you look at it. Im on a few Aussie VW Golf Facebook pages and the amount of people with Mk7 TSI's with crazy oil consumption issues is worrying.

1) just keep topping up the oil every few weeks. Oil isnt cheap - especially the correct VW spec oil which is approx $20 per litre. Even cheap oil is $10-12 per litre.
    2) rebuild or replace the engine.

And the DQ200 is a ticking time bomb. Many owners sell the cars when a major issue pops up so its always a possibility you are buying someone else's problem. Cars driven in busy cities will be worse as the DQ200 suffers from overheating in stop-start traffic where the cars creep forward very slowly and the clutches are constantly engaging-disengaging over and over.

Honestly I would recommend putting your hard earned money towards a Japanese or Korean car which will be much more reliable and cheaper to maintain in both the short and long term. A traditional torque converter automatic gearbox is much more reliable and stop-start traffic does not bother them.
    id be interested to know how many of these people suffering oil burning issues are using castrol.

VW spec castrol is easily the worst oil ive used out of 5 now... always gives a oil warning light after 2000 - 3000 kms with me and gave me a oil warning light after 1500kms new.... had to call the dealer and ask if the car left with oil.. changed to something decent like penrite or shell and little to no burning.. maybe 5000ish topup but closer to full than empty.. the ea888 engine is an oil burner and a bit of a powerhouse if turn your boost on the turbo up so can be a good sleeper. im sure in the 1.4L if you use some decent oil not the overpriced garbage castrol then im sure it would be fine