Support VWWC

Thread: Mk7 R Steering Wheel Wrap

Users Country Flag

Mk7 R Steering Wheel Wrap

Hi. Looking for recommendations on wrapping my steering wheel on the Sunshine Coast Queensland. I’ve seen the products from AliExpress and do it yourself but I won’t have the patients or the skill to do it. Pictures and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Is your current steering wheel damaged? If not, curious as to why you want to change it as its one of the nicest steering wheels around.

Any motor trimmer would be able to re-trim your current steering wheel. Year ago i had a Nissan 200sx with just the standard plastic steering wheel, and had a motor trimmer wrap it in black italian leather and it was around $300.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Not damaged but it’s gone fully shiny and is extremely smooth which is making it a little slippery and hard to grip.

2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to get some leather cleaner & treatment ? If you put a leather wrap over your existing wheel it will also get shiny with use anyway. Some people suggest using a "magic" cleaner, but I haven't tried it myself,
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    Not damaged but it’s gone fully shiny and is extremely smooth which is making it a little slippery and hard to grip.
    The shiny leather is caused by the oils etc in your skin that absorb over time into the leather. Go get some good quality leather cleaner (i use the Bowdens Own Leather Love which is about $25) and give it a good clean with a nice soft microfibre towel. The steering wheel in my wife's Audi gets shiny (due to moisturisers/sunscreen/makeup etc) so i clean it every month or so which reduces the shine and makes it more grippy.

Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier (and cheaper) to get some leather cleaner & treatment ? If you put a leather wrap over your existing wheel it will also get shiny with use anyway. Some people suggest using a "magic" cleaner, but I haven't tried it myself,
    Those magic cleaners are abrasive (essentially like a fine sandpaper), and while they do work, just be mindful of the fact your have to be careful with them to avoid damage.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Bowdens Own Agent Orange. The steering wheel is shiny because it’s oily and greasy from your hands. Clean it properly (follow the instructions on the bottle) and before you know it you’ll have a nice, factory matt finish steering wheel again.
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Love the Bowden stuff as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers, I’ll give it a go.

2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag

Yeah, another vote for the BO Leather products, work well and smell just like leather.