Thread: Mk7 Infotainment System

Users Country Flag

Mk7 Infotainment System

I have a 2016 model MK7 GTI and my infotainment system is no longer working. I had a problem with the complete system not working several months ago so took it to the VW dealer when my 45,000 service was due and they cleared error codes and updated the maps and the system was working again however last week it died leaving me without sat nav radio compass Bluetooth rear camera etc. Took it back to the dealer last Friday and was advised it would cost $4000 to fix. I would appreciate any assistance or advice as to what my options are to have a working system again.

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried holding the power button down for 10 seconds? After this you should hear the unit in the glovebox create a fan noise during reboot.

Worth a shot
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Users Country Flag
    clefauch: Hi - bummer about your infotainment unit. Truth is that your options really depend on the nature of the fault in your current MIB (the unit in the glovebox). The fix could be as simple as replacing a fuse, or cleaning-up a faulty pin, or earth/power connection- to the more intricate option of replacing the entire MIB.

If you pursue the latter, you will encounter Component Protection (CP) - which is a security protocol that VW has imposed to combat the black-market for stolen parts. A replacement (i.e. new, or used) MIB will generate CP errors which can only be resolved officially through a dealer connection to VW's FAZIT facility (it's VW's central database of licensed facilities by VIN). I'm also aware that some dealers won't remove CP errors if they don't also provide and install the new MIB unit. So it might be wise to confirm with your dealer that he/she will clear the CP error before buying a new/used MIB from a third party.

Alternatively, you can buy a replacement MIB that has been hacked to avoid a visit to the dealer - these have varying degrees of success depending on how the hack is done

Of course it's possible for the MIB to fail - it's just not a common fault. So, before you throw any money at the problem, you should first make sure of the cause for failure. If you can get access to a diagnostic device, I suggest that you post-up a scan report. Or, at the very least, you should confirm that the fault isn't outside the MIB (i.e. a problem in the wiring loom, connectors, or power supply to the MIB).

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 25-05-2020 at 06:33 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    A 4 year old factory infotainment system should not just fail.
    Pursue your consumer rights. First with the dealer, then with VW Aus finally with state fair trading.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag

I would push the dealer for a good will swap first up.
    If you have no luck contact Martin at Euro Car upgrades Euro Car Performance upgrades - ECU remaps - Navigation - Bluetooth - Latest Australia GPS maps - Auto electrics
    He is a bit of a whizz with those things. He may be able to diagnose and fix.
    And if you do need a new one he can get it cheaper the VW will.
    MY16 Candy white Octavia VRS Wagon, sunroof, 19" black pack, tech pack, comfort pack, auto tail gate
    MY12.5 Polo 6R GTI